Cloverfeild

the hyper evolved whale is the most common assumption. it doesnt matter. you can speculate all you want, the only person that really knows is Neville Page. From what i understand, even in the movie its pretty vague and you still walk out of the theatre with no clear understanding of what it is.

the reason it sounds like godzilla and the trex from jurasic is because the standard large monster noise is a sound mix between an elephant and a tiger and almost all the studios use it.

The short arms and legs would not only be underdeveloped due to being evovled from a whale, but also the amount of energy needed to power large arms and legs would require a massive diet and the monster would not feasibly be able to sustain life on land where there isnt alot of plankton floating around in the air. a whale can move very fast with small movements of its tail due to available "traction" in the water and not use a lot of energy and therefore can sustain itself soley on small life form intake.

sorry for the long post, rickey dumbed the post down again so i tried to get it back above 70 IQ level. ;)

bumping the IQ level again:

according to Toho the company that owns the copyright, Godzilla is a trademarked character whose traits include being described as prehistoric, fire breathing and schitzophrenic.

I'm not sure the cloverfield monster can be described as fire breathing or schitzophrenic.

and for the record, Toho inaccuratly described their monster in the last court case (toho vs. William Morrow) as fire breathing....Godzilla actually exhales irradiated super heated breath, not fire.

the story is copywritten, the creature is trademarked. both are pretty easy to work around, for example, as long as the monster is a mammal and not a reptile, or a was mutated by one type of nuclear material and not another, makes it a different monster, other wise, barney, the gieco gecko and TMNT would all owe money to Toho studios.

Ok, just saw Cloverfield, and Rick, it is definitely not anything like Godzilla. Although there is no explanation of what it is, or where it came from, It shows the "monster" a couple of times with pretty clear views as to what it is. I don't want to spoil it for anyone that is wanting to see it, but it looked like a reptilian monkey with a lizard like tail. It also had 2 little arms on it's torso, but it walked on all fours. The face looked like a rat with it's snout cut off, and it had all these little parasites falling off of it. The picture that CAS22 put up is similar, but not the face and extra "tentacles".
My opinion of the movie: It made me dizzy cause it's filmed in first-person format, and you know what is going to happen at the end halfway through the movie.

cool. lol..i think rick owes someone 20 bucks

i figured it wasnt worth seeing.

just another blair witch. ya sit there all nite and wonder "what the hell was that?"

spoiler alert

u actually do get a clue as to where it came from. At the very end when it goes back to them at coney island and it shows a shot of the ocean, u can see something splash down into the ocean at the far right of the screen.

so he dives back down to where his space ship is? or he crawls back into the nuclear waste that he hatched in? or he swims back to the Loch Ness? or he returns to the cage that Dr. Evil keeps him in? or he dives back to the deep awaiting his next orders from the flying dutchman? He returns to mount olympus and sits at the foot of the throne of Poseidon? As it dives a hatch opens in his back and little green men come climbing out celebrating with fireworks and vodka. Does he splash down because Predator has just wrestled him and stabbed him in the heart with his electron spear? Has it all been a right of passage hunting expedition by some martians family? Does he go back to the arctic to hibernate for another million years only to come back and have his fill of copper statues? Is there a time machine at the bottom of the bay and he returns to the future where whales have evolved past humans and rule the earth and milk humans for their sperm? Did he return to the past to kill some future human revolt leader? Was it gaia personified coming to get vengance on the human race for years or torture and poor fuel mileage? did Al Gore save the day by selling enough carbon offsets to appease her? did he win another Nobel Peace Prize?

or do the credits roll as the splash begins to fade leaving you with still no clear picture of where he came from?

I know i know, i'm an ass tonite. no excuse offered. i'll play nice tomorrow.

damn that was a great post
actually the splash down happens on a part of the tape that was shot 20 days b4 the monster attacking. I think it is supposed to imply that it fell from space.

well considering the fact that JJ Abrams said he wanted a monster that has never been seen before and Neville page said he felt like he had accomplished that, i dont think its a ripoff of the Toho creation of Gojira. the producers did a good job of misdirecting the public with japenese themed names and ads. Even calling the working title of the movie "slusho" which abrams has depicted in other films as a japanese drink http://www.slusho.jp/ .
Dont want to ruin anything for you, but if your going to see the movie just to find out what the monster is, pick another movie.
If you want to compare the monster to a previous movie, go see "the beast from 20,000 leagues"
if your still not feeling smart enough, google "1987-2004 ace"
then connect the dots to Ethan Haas (if there are any)
here's fun one, a site owned by JJ abrams to drop hints
http://www.1-18-08.com
well, i hope i brought the smart meter up some with my post.

It's a fucking movie. A not-so-great one at that. Chill out, bro.

And am I to understand that after all of this arguing as to what its meaning is and what's in it-- you still haven't seen it?

Hey Rick, thought you might like to see this. I saw it on a website where they were giving some facts about the movie.

FACT ONE: It Came From Japan
Producer J.J. Abrams took his son to a toy store in Japan and saw rows and rows of Godzilla toys. Feeling that the U.S. lacked a giant monster of its own, he decided to a make his own creature feature that would be filmed entirely through the point-of-view of the people on the ground, running for their lives.

So, in some weird way, you are right about it being a rip-off of Godzilla. You should only have to pay half the $.

It's a fucking movie. A not-so-great one at that. Chill out, bro.

And am I to understand that after all of this arguing as to what its meaning is and what's in it-- you still haven't seen it?

Lol, and probably wont see it. the movie is so see through and empty that i dont have to see it to know what its about.

I didnt see the post you quoted as arguing or being heated enough to have to chill out. Just showing rick the high level of misdirection and confusion and the effort to have the general public create the monster in their heads before seeing the movie.

not a copy of godzilla at all. only things similar are its in new york and its a monster movie. it was close to a billion times better than any godzilla movie ever made

I can't believe you guys are arguing about this. Don't you have anything productive to do?
Ricky, don't you have a sick nasty truck that is chronically imoblie (I mean, actually SICK, like ILL)? Why don't you take all this crazy overactive hyperenergized motivation and put it to use?

i started reading this to find out if cloverfield is worth watching, but it started to hurt after the first 5 posts. but anyways is the movie good or no?

no. its not good. i havent seen it. dont take my word for it. but when you do see it, remember there was a guy who warned you not too!!!

Back