Clutch for 1000lb ft. of torque

BIGWOODY

A buddy of mine has an 00' CTD with lots of mods and a twin turbo set up on it. He has a clutch that is rated for 850 lb. ft. but it's slipping since putting the twins on it. A dual friction or ceramic would probably be the ticket, but does anyone know who's got a good price on one, most we've found are around a grand. Thanks

You're gonna pay for that... NV4500 or 5600? Typically the guys doing those are looking either to dual discs, or at the very least, the 13" conversion kit and a Con OFE.

The 13-1.25 ConOFE is good to 1000lb-ft, but the Con FE is rated to 1100lb-ft, but they're both pricy.

Might wanna check out www.haisleymachine.com , but honestly, he's looking at at least a grand for a good clutch, not to mention possibly wanting to upgrade the input shaft (if it's a NV4500)

Clutch

I hope he has lots of money, the rest of the drive train won't handle that kind of power for long either.

I dunno Larry - my tranny builder has been over 550rhwp for about 2 years, and is currently around 650-700. at 600hp, he was pulling 1250lb-ft. It's his DD. I'm not sure if he's got the 241HD/D80 combo or the 241/D70, never looked, but he's got 0 failures. OTOH, he doesn't tow...

POWER

I was thinking about towing. The drive train would probalby live, because you would never have to use the max anyway. I have never had to use full throttle. When empty the rear tires will spin.

The south bend fe is good but about $900 I put the luk ceramic in mine and it was about $550. The difference is the wear on the flywheel. The fe doesn't harm the flywheel. The ceramic, as it slips, will groove the flywheel. So basically you save now with the luk but will probably have to get a flywheel when it wears out.

Either way have him know that these other materials aren't like stock. They don't slip, they grab. The clutch turns pretty much into an on/off switch.:driver:

crawlinjp said:
Either way have him know that these other materials aren't like stock. They don't slip, they grab. The clutch turns pretty much into an on/off switch.:driver:
I have had Tiltons in several race cars and used the same "on/off" switch explaination to him as to what to expect. Thanks, I think he's decided to pony up and spend what it takes.

Hate to see what the fe would be like "on-off". The luk pro-gold I just put in mine grabs like mad...I went with carrying a couple of spare ujoints and a carrier bearing...just in case...

But it is fun smoking the tires on a dually:D

Only what I've read, but apparently the "towing dual disc" has a more gentle engagement.

Back