coilovers on a TJ...

bigwaylon

coilovers on a TJ...lots of pics added...

for anybody interested...I have the front coilover bracket kit from PolyPerformance:

DSCN0819.JPG

here's a link to the product on their site with a couple pics:

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=375&cat=71&page=1

the brackets arrived a couple weeks ago...and then these showed up Friday:

DSCN0909.JPG

Andy (CRS) and I will be working on getting them in sometime in the next two weeks...I want it ready for the 3/11 event at DPG...

I'll post up some pics when it's done...

we'll being doing the rear later...already removed the fuel tank and installed fuel cell...Rock Equipment swaybar and 3-link kit is here, and we'll be doing a stretch when we convert to coilovers...

Greg

sweet!

Post allot of pic's when finished. I plan on using the same kit.

If anyone is interested in this kit, let me know. I will be trying to keep one in stock.

Andy

bigwaylon said:
Andy and I will be knocking this out Thursday...all kinds of pic to follow...
:D
Greg

Sweet, so how much lift are they going to net you?

Beastforty said:
Sweet, so how much lift are they going to net you?

we're aiming for no more than I have now...

I currently have the RE 4.5" springs...

we went with the 12" travel SAW's, since the 14" or 16" would've caused me to go higher...

we're keeping the lower COG...

Greg

OK...so we're "almost" done...

for those that have ever had "one of those days" when wrenching, make sure to read through to the end...:D

we (and when I say "we", I usually mean Andy working and me watching) started this morning with this:

DSCN0912.JPG

DSCN0913.JPG

yes...pics taken once we lifted TJ off the ground, so springs are unseated...

passenger fender:

DSCN0914.JPG

driver fender:

DSCN0915.JPG

springs and shocks removed:

DSCN0916.JPG

factory airbox removed:

DSCN0917.JPG

EVAP stuff removed:

DSCN0918.JPG

first shot at cutting shock mount and fender (no templates provided):

DSCN0919.JPG

the "reality" of how much had to get cut out:

DSCN0920.JPG

passenger mount tacked into place, with cross bar support bolted in to make sure everything stayed aligned:

DSCN0921.JPG

driver's side mount welded in and painted:

DSCN0922.JPG

Swayaways charged to 200PSI (this is very important later):

DSCN0923.JPG

one lower mount welded in and painted:

DSCN0924.JPG

coilover, reservoir and limiting strap all in place:

DSCN0925.JPG

the mostly finished look:

DSCN0926.JPG

now...the setup for the final pic...

both sides completely installed...new K&N (hopefully just a temp solution) filter installed on the end of air tube...half of the EVAP system bolted back in...wheel spacers put on all four corners...

at this point, I'm standing on the passenger's side, and Andy is on the driver's side...he's working on trying to squeeze the rest of the EVAP stuff into place...I have one single item to wrap up: remounting the PA speaker...

so, I track down self-tapping screws and some washers, pick my spot (from the engine bay, another important fact to remember), and go to drill a small pilot hole, and here's the result:

DSCN0927.JPG

that's what happens when the drill bit pops through the fender, and DIRECTLY INTO THE HOSE OF A $550 COILOVER!!!! and oil and nitrogen spray that was sitting there at 200PSI sprays all over the engine, the hood, probably the ceiling, but luckily not right into either of our faces...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

so, we called Dave at Poly Performance and are having a new hose overnighted...in addition to that, the whole shock has to be removed and rebuilt to get the proper amount of oil in it...

so, I'm pleased with the turnout, but won't know how it drives til Monday or Tuesday...

live and learn...and it's a mistake I'll never make again...and hopefully you all remember this and never have to learn the hard way...:D

because somebody asked earlier...we had already removed shocks and springs when I realized I hadn't taken a "before" measurement...but it seemed to sit fairly level afterwards...

Thanks.
Greg

I hate when that happens...

kinda get that feeling like you just spun the big wheel on the "price is right" and got $1.05....:flipoff2:

that sucks, but looks good otherwise, you gonna leave the upper coil spring mount on?

bigassedredjeep said:
kinda get that feeling like you just spun the big wheel on the "price is right" and got $1.05....:flipoff2:

that sucks, but looks good otherwise, you gonna leave the upper coil spring mount on?

yep...but without the $1 part...:D

actually...thanks for being the first to address the install itself...;)

the upper coil spring mount stays...as this setup uses the limiting straps to limit droop, and uses the factory bumpstops to limit uptravel (instead of spending $200/each on air bumps)...

we haven't tested it out to see if we have too much or too little bumpstop, but we'll work on that next week...

Greg

bigassedredjeep said:

Yup.....they provide the bumpstops for the kit....

here's the pic from Poly's site:

d_132.jpg

they have the coilover ring spun down to get more lift, and also seem to have less bumpstop...so some "tuning" may be in order, or we may have it just right...

it currently droops right about to the point that my RE 4.5" springs came unseated...

Greg

Sorry about your luck, the install looks good though.

So did you get the PA mounted???

JK
I went up to the shop today and saw the aftermath. Man that sucks. I like the coilovers looks great:)

avsno2000 said:
So did you get the PA mounted???
JK
I went up to the shop today and saw the aftermath. Man that sucks. I like the coilovers looks great:)

matter of fact...I didn't...

I just snipped the wires in half...

maybe I'll try the other fender...:smokin:

Greg

Back