Converting a Dodge Dana 44 from 8 lug to 5 on 5.5

R Q

I need to convert an 8 lug 44 to 5 lug. ECGS doesn't know what parts I need so Im working on it myself for now. Does anyone have any recommendations on what parts to source from?

I've got a 5 lug, Dodge 44 sitting out back that you can have if you'll come get it :D

You should just be able to swap everything over from whatever make axle you have. Not sure if they Dodge and Ford 44 outers are different as far as spindle bolts and such, but if not, just swap from the knuckles out.

What axle do you have? Dodge? Ford? Chevy?

EDIT: Since Chevy never used a 5 lug for anything that was solid axle and 4x4, you'll need to find outers from a Ford or Dodge Dana 44. I'm thinking if you have a Ford axle already, you should just be able to swap to Ford 5 lug, same for Dodge. I could be wrong though. I don't speak Dana 44 as well as I do Dana 60.

If its anything like the Chevy 44s its just a matter of knuckle out conversion.

If I remember correctly you would have to use a mix of chevy and ford parts to do it from the spindle out, but I would go get that free one above and do a knuckle-out swap with new ball-joints and new bearings.

If I remember correctly you would have to use a mix of chevy and ford parts to do it from the spindle out, but I would go get that free one above and do a knuckle-out swap with new ball-joints and new bearings.
Id love to go get it but its 278 miles from me so for now I'm looking at my local options!

lets see, I'm planning on being at UNF the weekend of the 13thdec.
if we can figure out a way to get it from Newbern to here..
figure out a way from UNF to Charlotte...

Sounds like you got lucky. If it has the chevy spindles and backing plates, you are correct in just needing the ford hubs/rotors. Done it several times. You might have to do some minor grinding on the calipers.

Back