Converting Word doc to Excel

Franklin

Now I have been an Excel user for YEARS all the classes, blah blah. How in the hell do I convert a word file into Excel where I can manipulate the Numbers. Original is coming out of SAP and cut& paste doesnt help. Any help will be appreciated before I go nutz.

I dont think you can "convert" it to a word file. The format is different. I have had to do the cut and past game for that. There may be a way but if there is I dont know it but would like too. Never had to really look into it but it would be nice to know.

if it isnt much do a cut\paste

if the wod doc has any type of text formatting for the numbers your will be fine, just do an import select how its delimited, comma/space etc.. it will preview the columns and you can tweek as needed then finish the import.. I do it all the time just usually with a raw txt file....

Try saving the word doc as a text file, tab delinated
Then open Excel, open the new text file, it should put each line in a different cell. Essentially as above but Esxcell will 'know" its a deliniated file so teh transition is a tad easier

Hell, poste it up on here and maybe somebody that's bored can give it a shot

Cut&paste isnt a option, way too time consuming. I also saved it in rich text, but Excel would not recognize a Word doc on the desktop when I tried to open it in Excel. Million4$ software soultion and it cant spit out an Excel ss. Bastids

check out the bb at mr.excel.com...

any excel solutions I havent been able to come up with a post there has solved in 5-10 mins

Cut&paste isnt a option, way too time consuming. I also saved it in rich text, but Excel would not recognize a Word doc on the desktop when I tried to open it in Excel. Million4$ software soultion and it cant spit out an Excel ss. Bastids

I'm wondering if we've had a miscommunication. If no when it pulls it in.t, ignore me.
I meant specifically to save it as a text file, tab-delineated. If you do this, you can open/read it wilth almost any program, from notepad to Excel to SPSS or SAS or all kinds of stuff.
If you have Excel open and ask it to open the file, it runs through a little conversion utility, during which you can specify the delination - rabs, commas, semicolon - and also see how it will look when it pulls it in.

Back