Cool N Save

My names not @CasterTroy but I'm prettier. I'd think you'd better put a damn good filter on the water supply. Otherwise you're coating the coils with minerals that are going to have a net decrease in its efficiency.

if your not lucky enough to have a good supply of shade trees an want to cool your house off some more, put some "architectural" window tint on your house windows, ( just watch the reflective value, too much will overheat the gas between the panes and it will expand and blow the seal out. )

Happened across this video, seems pretty straightforward explanation of it working and the savings.

It comes with a filter, I'm sure you'd want to keep it clean.

Water over condenser coils is nothing new. All your big industrial refrigeration condensers use it. You waste a lot of water if it isn't recycled, but then you build up minerals when you recycle the water. A filter will help, but a softener would be better.

@CasterTroy what say ye?
🤦🏾‍♂️

I had a great idea while towing my jeep and family up fancy gap in 90 degree weather. Why do car mfgs not put a small cooling coil from the AC in the intake/filter so you're never pulling hot engine air into the cylinders, therefore always making max efficiency

Similar concept/gimmick but you're trading fractional improved efficiency for a massive waste of resources

I'd love to see their data on this 30%. My bet is it's a number pulled straight out of the air

Last edited:
🤦🏾‍♂️

I had a great idea while towing my jeep and family up fancy gap in 90 degree weather. Why do car mfgs not put a small cooling coil from the AC in the intake/filter so you're never pulling cold air into the engine, therefore always making max efficiency

Similar concept/gimmick but you're trading fractional improved efficiency for a massive waste of resources

I'd love to see their data on this 30%. My bet is it's a number pulled straight out of the air
In the video I posted the guy shows a drop in current draw from the condenser. It isn't 30% though.Also this assumes water is freely available and infinite. Some places it's a more precious resource than electricity.

In the video I posted the guy shows a drop in current draw from the condenser. It isn't 30% though.Also this assumes water is freely available and infinite. Some places it's a more precious resource than electricity.
In our region it's useless. There's already so much moisture in the air that "a fine mist" wouldn't make little difference.

However, in Arizona or Utah there would be a noticeable difference. But in Arizona and Utah, as you said, their isn't an abundance of water to waste.

Last edited:
🤦🏾‍♂️

I had a great idea while towing my jeep and family up fancy gap in 90 degree weather. Why do car mfgs not put a small cooling coil from the AC in the intake/filter so you're never pulling hot engine air into the cylinders, therefore always making max efficiency

I saw a college senior project that proposed similar only cheaper.

It was about capturing the AC condensate drip and directing it towards intake air cooling or radiator cooling.

It never actually got tried, just theorized

I saw a college senior project that proposed similar only cheaper.

It was about capturing the AC condensate drip and directing it towards intake air cooling or radiator cooling.

It never actually got tried, just theorized
I was thinking about that also, but the amount of drip depends heavily on local climate also. Around here we have tons of it bc of the humid air, but that same humid air make the evap cooling lesss effective,
Whre it would be more effective - Arizona as above - also will have substatially less condensate for the exact same reason.
Plus you need some source of power to pressurize that drip and get it to the mister, Will that source use more or less than the saving on the condenser?

These are things that are great senior projects bc it makes a budding engineer think through all the angles, but rarely make a successful product bc they realized the problems ;-)

I read somewhere that spraying water was a bad idea. I don't recall the reasons, other than rust! Better to shade a unit; trees & bushes are best, as long as you don't block the air flow. You could put up a Pop-up cover, but you can't have it too low, which creates resistance to the cfm of the fan.

Back