copper tubing for brake lines?

what's your opinion.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC.

BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC.
im totally against using copper for brake lines but i got one in today that another shop used copper tubing on and i just wanted to see what opinion's others had about this before i cause a big stink.
at first i thought it was just an odd color steel but after my magnet didn't stick im sure it's not steel.
ai284.photobucket.com_albums_ll35_novacayne75_Mobile_20Uploads_0823111804a.jpg

Still Learning

Well, when I voted, it was based on what I've been told/understood, all my life. Now I learn, there is a copper-nickel, that seems, superior. Personally, I try to stay away from working on brake lines. Guys like me tend to put shoes on backwards!:rolleyes:

Not to flame you . But I am a ASE master tech my family has been in to vehicles since I was born . I have used copper in a pinch and then replaced it with steel line when I got back home .
Copper is too thin and the flare for copper will split if not dome correctly . this falls under using compression fittings on brake lines as well I have seen both fail . this is the reason I have spent the money and purchased proper flaring equipment . I am also very meticulous and I will not patch a line but replace it from connection to connection . I have walked aout of a shop for wanting me to install a compression fitting on a brake system.
Brake lines should always be fabricated from Bundy tubing having a wall thickness of 0.028" minimum. Brake line pressures can and do exceed 1000 psi. On no account should copper, aluminum, or commercial fuel line be used,
Quoted from this link
http://www.dimebank.com/BrakePlumbing.html

Interesting post.:popcorn:
I have never used it, figured it was to soft and thin. It wouldnt take much of an impact to close it up or tear it. All the old timers said to stay away from it. I think where it is seamed together was the main issue, it will split under pressure.

I'd be scared that someone would steal the copper form my rig while I'm in the Wal-Mart. then you'd be in deep doody

Since that is our axle I guess we would know best what it is, I know this b/c we are the only company in the country that A mass produces these, and B runs complete brake lines for the ease of the customer.

It is In fact copper- nickel tubing which is DOT approved. It has the benefits of being easy to work with, never rusts or corrodes. It is OEM on many luxury vehicles. Ford was going to swap to it last year but decided it was going to cost to much.

We spend more money to use this tubing as opposed to Standard steel tubing. We are a DOT approved brake line manufacturer though we may or may not have made those lines as Alliance also DOT approved was making them for us.

We have a significant amount of money invested in brake line equipment and assure all, we can make it out of whatever you want to DOT specs. All lines are also pressure tested to 3000 PSI which is close to triple what your brake system ever sees.

As for the axle being $1600 dollars, I do not know who the customer is so I don’t know the details but $1600 for a custom bolt in axle assemble with Braided stainless soft lines and copper nickel hard lines pre plumbed for you. That sounds like a great deal.

You may want to change your poll so we can Vote - OEM Copper nickel non rusting easy to work with tube. That would be my vote.

Attachments

• ECGS BRAKE TABLE.jpg
    ECGS BRAKE TABLE.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 1,053
Thanks Chase and Andy!
I myself had never heard of this stuff before. But, sounds like something worth looking into. Especially for us WNC area folks who see a lot of the salt covered roads in the Winter. The non corrosive part is a great selling point.
Chase, if whom ever works at that bench is as meticulous with their work output as they are with the tidiness of their work area, it's no wonder you have the reputation that you do.
Again, more good stuff from ECGS!

Thanks Chase and Andy!
I myself had never heard of this stuff before. But, sounds like something worth looking into. Especially for us WNC area folks who see a lot of the salt covered roads in the Winter. The non corrosive part is a great selling point.
Chase, if whom ever works at that bench is as meticulous with their work output as they are with the tidiness of their work area, it's no wonder you have the reputation that you do.
Again, more good stuff from ECGS!

No problemo Chip. We try to stay on top of things.......

im totally against using copper for brake lines but i got one in today that another shop used copper tubing on and i just wanted to see what opinion's others had about this before i cause a big stink.
at first i thought it was just an odd color steel but after my magnet didn't stick im sure it's not steel.

i always heard that ignorance was bliss but you dont seem very blissful :shaking:

Since that is our axle I guess we would know best what it is, I know this b/c we are the only company in the country that A mass produces these, and B runs complete brake lines for the ease of the customer.

It is In fact copper- nickel tubing which is DOT approved. It has the benefits of being easy to work with, never rusts or corrodes. It is OEM on many luxury vehicles. Ford was going to swap to it last year but decided it was going to cost to much.

We spend more money to use this tubing as opposed to Standard steel tubing. We are a DOT approved brake line manufacturer though we may or may not have made those lines as Alliance also DOT approved was making them for us.

We have a significant amount of money invested in brake line equipment and assure all, we can make it out of whatever you want to DOT specs. All lines are also pressure tested to 3000 PSI which is close to triple what your brake system ever sees.

As for the axle being $1600 dollars, I do not know who the customer is so I don’t know the details but $1600 for a custom bolt in axle assemble with Braided stainless soft lines and copper nickel hard lines pre plumbed for you. That sounds like a great deal.

You may want to change your poll so we can Vote - OEM Copper nickel non rusting easy to work with tube. That would be my vote.

show off:flipoff2:

Chase thank's for sharing this info as i had never heard of this stuff. i was the one that recomended the axle to the customer and done the build spec's on it. now that it's installed and i see that the brakelines in question are actually much better quality and every bolt fell right in the bracket's im very happy with the axle. as for pricing their is no way i could have built this axle for the same price and it be worth my time on a customer's vehicle when i already have a full shop.

I am just glad nobody is going to take our tools away!

The work table was about a 2 day project that we love and makes quick work of making brake lines.

It has 2 stage flaring tool mounted left.

Stainless braided line mounted under table with a pull through to top with hard mounted yard stick. This way you pull line up through table on yard stick and cut to desired length.

Mounted right is the tube straightener also with yard stick so as you straighten tube you get your measurement and cut off, then move left to flaring tool.

Mounted center is our pressure tester, so every line can be tested to insure it is leak free.

We are still working on getting all the fittings for different applications but we plan to release a full line of extended stainless brake lines. USA MADE. If you have a custom axle application, feel free to call us w/ measurements and we can make it up for you.

I think the rear disc brake conversion kits could benefit by having the soft lines and hard lines pre made for a complete package.

Many people have asked us about hydraulic lines and after we feel we have a good handle on the different brake line kits we will be offering hydraulic lines also.

I think we've all been "schooled"...I voted a strong "hell no" for copper tubing, cuz it's so soft, plus I've never heard of anyone using it except for yer icemaker @ home and the moonshine still out back...ooops...shhhh...:beer:
For my next brake line project, I now know the folks to call...Alliance in Greensboro or ECGS in Raleigh-Durham!!

I was shocked it took Chase so long to chime in on this. Even with the little bit the pic showed I could tell this was one of their axles.

I was like everyone else I voted before I even looked at the post. If I would never use copper but now after being educated on what the brake line is I would definitely change my vote.

Back