Correct shackle angle & other ?s

mbalbritton said:
Dammit Dave... Cut the side welds and grind that damn Rivet out. Jerk the Spring mounts off. Wire wheel that crusty Rusty frame of yours, move spring mounts back 1.5" and burn them on.

Agree. Instead of fooling around with cutting and welding scab plates etc, I would move the rear mount back 1.5".

For the front, it looks like you could build a new shackle hanger with the eye hole a little higher (right under the frame) that would allow you to use a longer shackle without losing caster.

DK

I would move the rear hanger back, then bolt and weld it on. Don't make me call Toad and get him on here. K.I.S.S.:fuck-you:

Damn, Caver.
Now that you finally found some springs with good bushings already in them...
The rest of the swap is too easy.

Just cut the hanger off and move it back as needed.
Shouldn't take you more than an afternoon.

Gheesh - kwit over thinking it.

mbalbritton said:
IT AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE!!:flipoff2:

Yeah, "rocket science" must be when you SOA/SR your CJ and then park it for the next 2 (shooting for 3?) years! :rolleyes:
Or is that bypassing every obstacle on the trail with an excuse like "I have to drive it home"? :gay:

Again, I AM taking it to Mtn. City in 2 weeks to WHEEL! The plates are already cut & drilled, so I'll let you all know how it goes... :flipoff2:

Caver Dave said:
Yeah, "rocket science" must be when you SOA/SR your CJ and then park it for the next 2 (shooting for 3?) years! :rolleyes:
Or is that bypassing every obstacle on the trail with an excuse like "I have to drive it home"? :gay:

ok, you can only use that once in a thread... after that, it's just repetative...

Again, I AM taking it to Mtn. City in 2 weeks to WHEEL! The plates are already cut & drilled, so I'll let you all know how it goes... :flipoff2:

no you're not..... you'll still be debating what to do about your shackle angle....

Or is that bypassing every obstacle on the trail with an excuse like "I have to drive it home"?
I am probably going to be trailering mine to Mtn. City, so I have negated that excuse. But I will have my 3 year old with me and we know my cage situation, so he will be getting out on some sections, and I will have to take a bypass or two.

Caver, I have been saving up for years to be as cool as you, but it is not looking like it is going to happen anytime soon. My dream is dead, back to work...:D

Thursday Update...

OK, remeasured everything last night (multiple times) and arrived at 104.5"... I'm not re-engineering the front over 1/2 an inch! So, I decided to just move the shackle hangers forward...

Despite being re-welded, the pass. side hanger came off decently I did tack them in place forward 2.5", but it looks like that is too much? Was ULTRA hard to get the shackles in place and once I did, couldn't get enough leverage on them to get them to swing forward (now inverted BACKWARDS :mad: )...

Planning to do a little geometry today and see if I can figure out the optimum move distance to correct the angle/binding issue *AND* make it a little easier to get everything connected...

2.5" just happened to be the distance between the front hole (hot rivet) & back hole (bolt) on the hangers! (very simple to move them both and know they were equally distanced) :D

Just tacked in, so no biggy.... if my math/drawing skills are correct, looks like 1.5" is the magic number...

Back