Crank position sensor question

98zjstroker

So the Mopar one for my 98ZJ I ordered over a month ago never came in. I went to the junk yard about two weeks ago and picked up a couple just in case. Got the stroker motor up and running with the one of the junk yard sensors so decided to cancel the order since it was $120 and still not shipped.

While I was there I actually pulled a couple out of jeeps in the 94-96 year range that the sensor itself was the exact same (at least the dimensions) but the pigtail connector was different. Still a 3 prong. My question was hypothetically if I cut the pigtail off the 94-96 sensor and spliced it onto a 97-98 would it work?

I haven't read anything about timing differences between those years, and not sure if there is anything else that would effect it like magnetic strength or something. Both sets of years come with the same motor and transmission. Not sure if anyone has ever done it. I'm sure its not recommended simply because its not that OE part.

But hypothetically if I am in a bind and there isn't any issues that it would cause I would rather go with a Mopar sensor that is better quality and splice wires then an auto parts store that breaks in a month since the Mopar ones are apparently harder to get new.

No idea about Jeep stuff, but often two wire and 3 wire sensors are completely different. 2-wire sensors are usually a variable reluctance (VR) sensor, and the 3-wire sensors are usually a Hall effect sensor. There are exceptions, like having a 3-wire VR sensor for connector compatibility with Hall effect sensors, or having a 3-wire VR sensor with a shielded cable. An ECU is generally only designed to take the signal from one or the other type of sensor, because the signals are very different (bipolar sine wave for VR vs. 0-5V square wave for Hall Effect, etc).

From what Jody is saying, it sounds like those generation of Jeeps are all VR sensors if the only thing different is the connector type, and the ECU operating with 2-wire and 3-wire sensors.

Last edited:
Yes you can.
I did that on top of Guardrail at Tellico back in the day.

That makes me smile...

No idea about Jeep stuff, but often two wire and 3 wire sensors are completely different. 2-wire sensors are usually a variable reluctance (VR) sensor, and the 3-wire sensors are usually a Hall effect sensor. There are exceptions, like having a 3-wire VR sensor for connector compatibility with Hall effect sensors, or having a 3-wire VR sensor with a shielded cable. An ECU is generally only designed to take the signal from one or the other type of sensor, because the signals are very different (bipolar sine wave for VR vs. 0-5V square wave for Hall Effect, etc).

From what Jody is saying, it sounds like those generation of Jeeps are all VR sensors if the only thing different is the connector type, and the ECU operating with 2-wire and 3-wire sensors.

That makes my head hurt... I know on my 94 I can test my CPS with the engine in run and rotate by had until I hear a click. ASD relay I believe.....

you can buy cps on Ebay for 8$. I buy a couple at a time since my daughters jeep is the same sensors as mine. Last one lasted 3 years and the sensor itself was still good. The wires broke from vibration.. Be aware of the routing.

That makes me smile...

That makes my head hurt... I know on my 94 I can test my CPS with the engine in run and rotate by had until I hear a click. ASD relay I believe.....

A CPS is an AC generator. Set a DVOM to 5v AC, have someone spin it over. Got voltage? Move on. No voltage? Grab the 7/16" wobble.

Ckp is a hall effect sensor. On/off (0/5v). One wire power, signal and ground. You can interchange, just change plugs on harness side. 90 & prior remix were inductive pickup sensors.

Back