Crawl space dehumidifier just died of Covid

How does one go about testing the air sealing? Or is it see and shoot type situation.

You can do a blower door test, but generally not necessary.

Look for light coming through. When crawling and checking use a red light or dim white light so your eyes adjust to the darkness and then look for light coming through.

Also look for known air leaks, any penetration in the perimeter wall should be sealed. Porch openings should be sealed to crawlspace.

I had @Mac5005 come out and do my crawlspace. I wish I would have done it from the start. I have a humidity/temp sensor in the crawl and keep an eye on it regularly from the display in the bedroom (also tells temp in kids rooms, etc). Stays within 5* or so of our main floor temp and never above 55% humidity. I followed their recommendations and have been very pleased.

I had @Mac5005 come out and do my crawlspace. I wish I would have done it from the start. I have a humidity/temp sensor in the crawl and keep an eye on it regularly from the display in the bedroom (also tells temp in kids rooms, etc). Stays within 5* or so of our main floor temp and never above 55% humidity. I followed their recommendations and have been very pleased.
Likely won't be long before I do the same.

@LBZ_Duramax can you give any feedback on the humidity temp sensor you have?
Looking at adding one for a couple rooms that are rarely used in our house (now that junior is away at school) and a basement closet. If you have one youve been happy with Id appreciate a link

@LBZ_Duramax can you give any feedback on the humidity temp sensor you have?
Looking at adding one for a couple rooms that are rarely used in our house (now that junior is away at school) and a basement closet. If you have one youve been happy with Id appreciate a link
I'm poor folks so I used my old indoor/outdoor thermometer to spot check humidity and temp in my attic and crawlspace. @LBZ_Duramax is a baller so he probably has something super fancy that measures everyroom and syncs with his IPhone every 10 sec

I'm poor folks so I used my old indoor/outdoor thermometer to spot check humidity and temp in my attic and crawlspace. @LBZ_Duramax is a baller so he probably has something super fancy that measures everyroom and syncs with his IPhone every 10 sec
LOL...right with you.

What brought this up was opening the door to my son's bedroom for the first time since Christmas and its a damn swamp. Had a roof leak we have now fixed. But something like mentioend above with a sensor in there would be nice as well as one in the basement mechanical closet with the water heater and A/C air handler

LOL...right with you.

What brought this up was opening the door to my son's bedroom for the first time since Christmas and its a damn swamp. Had a roof leak we have now fixed. But something like mentioend above with a sensor in there would be nice as well as one in the basement mechanical closet with the water heater and A/C air handler
Accurite has units with multiple sensors for ~$100. I think I'm going to get one so I can monitor my attic, crawlspace and storage room (where my water heater, water softener and iron filter are) at the same time.

I have that with the prob in my crawlspace; been in service for 2 years and the battery just now needs replacing.

I have one of these I use to monitor my garage and it works great.

We have a few of these. They're dumb but work fine.

We have a few of these. They're dumb but work fine.

Have the same in my kitchen. Agree dumb but functional.

I was hoping there was something out there where I could throw 4 or 5 sensors around and have 1 base to display them all.

Last edited:
LOL...right with you.

I got one off amazon with 3 remote sensors plus the main unit so 4 areas total. Was less than $50 and works great.

@awheelterd I looked for a wifi one that did what I wanted so I could check from my phone but couldn't source one....LOL

@Mac5005 was just out to my house not too long ago, I thought something was wrong with the dehumidifier but a simple power reset fixed it. None the less Russ came out and checked over the crawl for me and made sure everything was still OK since the install. I couldn't be happier with the way those guys stand behind their work.

Bumping this back up. @Mac5005 you still liking keystone dehumidifiers for crawl spaces?
Yes Keystone and Aprilaire for any longevity.

I have seen a lot of newer models with fancy marketing still be junk on the inside despite the label.

Worst is horizon/alohaire/seaira etc and some Santa Fe.

Some Santa Fe are made by aprilaire but it’s depends on model.

Last edited:
Hey, since this thread was brought back up let me post a couple of pics to show what I finally had time to do. The Keystone is now my backup. I bought all my stuff from crawl space ninja. Installed an Aprilaire dehumidifier, vapor barrier on ground and walls, and watch everything on a therm pro monitor. The worst part was cleaning every floor joist and the rest of the floor with white vinegar. Freaking killed me. No, the worst part was waiting for all the new skin to grow back on my soft tender parts after the vinegar had its way with me.
B28C468B-01F7-4871-978D-8A350EF5B2C0.jpeg
1F16D1F7-5A12-4BC4-AC15-53FF68754E0C.jpeg

Hey, since this thread was brought back up let me post a couple of pics to show what I finally had time to do. The Keystone is now my backup. I bought all my stuff from crawl space ninja. Installed an Aprilaire dehumidifier, vapor barrier on ground and walls, and watch everything on a therm pro monitor. The worst part was cleaning every floor joist and the rest of the floor with white vinegar. Freaking killed me. No, the worst part was waiting for all the new skin to grow back on my soft tender parts after the vinegar had its way with me.
View attachment 399881View attachment 399882
I think I officially just became an old man…I got crawl space envy. Nice work!

Was under the house last weekend to fix the well pressure tank and noticed my Santa Fe wasn't working. Just threw in a Keystone based on the recommendations here, thanks. Will be cheaper even if it dies sooner....

Last edited:
Got a Keystone for our basement in early 2021 based on advice given by @Mac5005 in this thread. It is still trucking along and has far outlasted the Hisense and the Haier that preceded it. Basement is fairly well air-sealed (house built to Energy Star specs) but it's about 1900ft². Works great!

Back