Culvert pipe

YotaOnRocks

Lowe's carries it $250 for 15" diameter 20' long

Anybody know a cheaper source. Im wanting to eliminate driving through the ditch on the other side of my house

Call lane enterprise in Statesville. Go straight to the manufacturer.
It's been a couple of years since I had to use them, but they were cheaper

RCP - Reinforced Concrete Pipe
CMP - Corrugated Metal Pipe
HDPE - High Density Polyethelene

What you want is ABS - Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene

If it is in a public Right of way then you have to use 15" or larger.

No permit required for just a driveway pipe in NC (That I know of anyways - never got one). TN has a permit but it's free (large fine if you don't get one).

Oh ok thanks for dumbing it down for me.

Yes I was looking at the plastic pipes. It is in a right of way and the concrete one under my driveway is around 15 so I figured that's the size I would use.

I'm tired of dragging my trailer jacks in the dirt when I back in and am in the process of buying a new tow rig that probably won't like to drive through the ditch much.

So you are looking at corrugated plastic?

How about Reinforced Concrete Pipe (RCP) or Corrugated Metal Pipe (CMP)?

Those are fairly affordable and you can afford to bury them very shallow without fear of collapsing over the corrugated plastic pipe.

You can use HDPE plastic pipe and it has a decent ability to support vehicle traffic if buried deep enough and depending on wall thickness (DR17 vs 21)

Yeah I though corrugated plastic would be cheaper. I'm looking for the cheapest route.

Here are some google street views of the existing pipe under driveway and I'm looking to add an unpaved driveway on the other side along the chain fence. Its not very deep but is deeper than pics show.

I've never done anything like this and the advice is appreciated

Screenshot_2016-02-16-15-44-24.png
Screenshot_2016-02-16-15-44-57.png

That shallow, I wouldn't use corrugated plastic.

Also, as a FYI, you may need to talk to the city about a driveway permit. They are sometimes required when adding a driveway that connects to a public road.

I'm leaving it grass would that still count as a driveway?

You are installing a culvert for access across the ditch. It's then a driveway, grass, gravel, concrete, whatever, doesn't matter.

Each city is different with their regulations, so just check. Many cities only require permits for commercial properties and some are for primary only. Check with the city. There are also typical requirements the city expects for driveway construction to ensure it is properly constructed, is safe, and ensures the drainage method of ditch is not compromised, etc.

Ok thanks. Found a guy near me selling 8' 15"id rcp for $44 a piece. Sound like what I need?

Last edited:
I think 2 of those RCP pipes would be fine and structurally correct and cheaper!
Look at the rest of the culverts and match those. The pics seem to show RCP on the driveways.

Looking at Winston web site, I can't seen any driveway permit requirements for anything other than commercial. I'd still check.

Ok. Is it as simple as excavating the dirt so it isn't a big hump and then back filling or is there something else I should do. Also is there a minimum of soil that needs to go back on top.

Just remember to mention you will be running over it with a 17,000 lbs peterbilt plus the weight of the toy hauler. You know your going to let me bring in some rock and show off my spreading skills to you and crash.

@Riddle you better watch out, I need a road tractor so that peterbilt and western star are in my sights next lol.

Kayla said she doesn't want it rock so if I can get the pete in and out in grass I'm gonna leave it grass.

Looks like Winston has published its design standards which includes driveway standards and specifically mention residential driveways requiring permits, etc and shall adhere to their general standards for design, construction, and permit requirements. There is even a section that covers multiple driveways.

image.jpg

Back