Cummins lift pump upgrade

shelby27604

I am looking at upgrading my mega cab to the S&B 52 gallon tank, I figured while I have the tank dropped, I might upgrade my lift pump (I know factory is external).

Fleece has a drop-in, in-tank pump with a bucket enclosure, that is supposed to eliminate 1/4 tank starvation. Tested to 12k hours of use, will support future HP upgrades, and is tucked away in the tank.

Anyone running this setup? Pros, cons? I see most aftermarket options are external.

I would probably upgrade the filtration system at the same time (with frame mounted fleet guard units, but keep the factory setup as well for the WIF functionality).

Poke holes in the parts above, or let me know if your good experience.

I was on the preorder list for the 52 Gallon Midship Tank for the 03-07 MY CCSB Dodge and Ram Cummins Equipped trucks while it was in R&D. They no longer offer that tank for the 03-04 model year, I assume because of the issues they had with it reported by the first users, myself being one of them.

The only good thing about that 52 Gallon Mid ship is that it holds more fuel.

The tank doesn't have any baffles and the venting is inadequate for most station pumps. Using a fuel pump at the highest flow rate won't allow the tank to vent quick enough causing the pump to shutoff prematurely, you have to use the lowest or second highest flow rate, Fueling takes a while because of this. The lack of baffles creates a fuel slosh problem and the added fuel weight will be felt while driving and taking turns. I snapped a front sway bar link taking a turn on a full tank from the body roll. Fuel slosh will cause the tank to leak from the vents if you are filling to the neck or taking turns with speed or stopping short.

This one doesn't pertain to your truck in question but the early 03 to 04 trucks like mine used a different sending unit dimension from the later 04.5+ trucks; early 03 04s are using the sending unit dimensions found in the 2ndGen Dodge HD trucks. S&B found this out after all their R&D when the product on release stated that the OE unit would drop in. Meaning on top of buying a 1300.00 fuel tank I had to buy a sending unit for an 05 truck; but the 05 and up trucks didn't just have a sending unit for the fuel it was an in tank pump. Early 03 04 trucks just had the fuel pickup/return basket with an external lift pump unless you had a dealer retrofitted truck. This was an added cost for something I was told when I preordered the tank that I wouldn't need. I wasn't compensated for it by S&B in the numerous times I gave them "Free" feed back on their "well designed" product.

I have nothing but good things to say about Fleece, they actually made and tested their sending unit and fuel pump assemblies knowing the different model year changes between the trucks. I had very bad quarter tank issues with the S&B 52G tank using my Fass external lift pump at S&B's "Sump port designed for external aftermarket lift pumps" I've been using the Fleece Sureflow sending unit with my Fass unit and love it, better mouse trap in all aspects with functional design for multiple aftermarket configurations. No quarter tank issues at all.

Depending on the year of your MegaCab you may be able to recalibrate the DTE trip fuel or not, make a mental note of the OE tank capacity and take notes to get an idea based on your driving for your own DTE. I usually do about 750-800 miles on a tank. Factory tank is a 34g for my 03, S&B tank is a 52g. Approximate 98% of tank functional tank capacity being used: 50.96g approx.

In summary your parts list is solid, I don't see any issues with it. Fleece being the saving grace. I've replumbed my entire fuel system on my 03 and dropped my tank numerous times (6 or 7 now) with @Keith1138 help and solo. OE tank or 52mid ship at a quarter tank and below and I can have it out under 45mins solo with tools laid out. It's not a hard job, I'd rather drop and install a tank solo than have to pull and realign a bed solo with a cherry picker. If you have any questions about the setup, DM me.

Enjoy filling up! I almost busted when I had my first fill up under $190.00 after Diesel prices started snorting drywall.

I've enjoy my AirDog II 4G 165 and the S&B 62 gallon tank. The thread aluminum fitting started to seep fuel around it, so I scuffed it and covered it with JB Weld PlastiBond. It'd be easier to do off the truck and before it's had fuel in it.

I can use 61 gallons out of it and I know that for a fact. Coasted the last 20 feet to the fuel pump. The way the Duramax ones are designed, they definitely have decent slosh control and the baffles made around the sump area work pretty well. I've never felt the ~470 lbs of fuel rock this 7600 lb truck, so no complaints there. The GM tanks are also kinda tall and narrow, so that probably helps too.

Not sure what year your truck is, but there are several reviews on their site. One specifically mentions the Fleece setup with the S&B tank and another mentions the spring release handle on a B&W gooseneck hitch. Not sure if it's applicable to you. I'd still check it out though. I do see that this one doesn't appear to have a sump like mine does. Mine drops down whereas that one is flat.

20201111_232912.jpg

20201111_232924.jpg

I'd likely go with the same idea you mentioned. Seems like a nice, solid setup!

Last edited:
I have read about the 5th wheel hitch issue on the S&B tanks, it isn't applicable for my future plans, so I wasn't too worried about it.

The two options are titan and s&b and Titan seemed to be flagged by an abundance of quality issues. S&B seems to have nothing but praise as I look at customer reviews.

Does the factory tank have baffles? I was hoping the fleece in-tank pump and bucket would minimize issues associated with a lack of well and baffles.

@Darkbloodmon I am surprised that an extra 18 gallons of fuel would snap a sway bar end link.....what am I missing, I thought a Cummins could cruise around with 10k lbs in the bed while making 30mpg?

I was just glad I stumbled upon S&B making plastic tanks, honestly. Everyone else (last time I checked) only made metal tanks and the last thing I want to have to deal with in my common rail diesel is condensation and internal tank rust!

Does the factory tank have baffles? I was hoping the fleece in-tank pump and bucket would minimize issues associated with a lack of well and baffles.

@Darkbloodmon I am surprised that an extra 18 gallons of fuel would snap a sway bar end link.....what am I missing, I thought a Cummins could cruise around with 10k lbs in the bed while making 30mpg?

Factory tank does have baffles, the Fleece sending unit will more than make up for the lack of baffles by its design. It has one way valves into the bucket and returns fuel to the bucket from the engine.

The weight of this tank when full will be quite noticeable without baffles. FWIW and full transparency I don't have a rear sway bar. The front end links were OEM with 217K-ish miles, it was wet outside and I took the corner in 3rd when I should've been in 2nd. Never the less the weight transfer is something to get used to compared to the factory tank.

10K in the "bed" is something only rickshaws with 125cc engines can get away with in developing countries.

Back