Custom liner paint job

Wrangoneer

I've seen a lot of bed liner paint jobs. But nothing too crazy or even two tone for that matter. I was thinking about spraying my xj. Just wanting to know if theres anybody that has some ideas or maybe pics on something they have done... I'll post pics as I progress...

I think every truck I have seen with bed liner out the outside has looked like shit...:poop:

Well the stuff I've been looking at has a real fine compound that goes in it.. The guy said almost like powdered sugar... So I'm thinking if a mix it with an automotive paint then I'll get a really smooth job that's just really tough paint... I totally agree with you on some of the cheap liners I've seen

I've seen a few...I've never seen the whole body painted though. I know a guy that painted the grill and tailgate of his jeep...it looked good because of the contrast with the glossy body paint.

I did this truck with Scorpion back when I had my business.

ai302.photobucket.com_albums_nn90_TSCoating_Scorpion_8_75.jpg

bedliner paint jobs look good until the first time they get dirty, and unless you layer it on thick, is isn't really any tougher then paint. What wants to add 200 lbs of paint to their rig?

See that's what I'm talking about! I think the truck looks good... Couple questions...is the blue also liner? Did you tint it with automotive paint or is that a factory scorpion color? Have you had the truck in the mud? Bc like spence said I have heard that black is bad about staining and streaking when you get in mud and it dries on the rig. Also I have all the carpet and plastics out of the jeep so your really not loosing or gaining any weight involved with the bed liner... I guess it just nullifies taking the carpet out

Just did a little digging and the product is called liner xtreeme.. And the total shipping weight is only 20 lbs for 80 square feet... So that weight is cans box and all the lady said she couldn't see it weighing more than 10 lbs when applied at 1/8 inch thick... Just thought I would let everyone know, could be a good product all the feedback seems to be positive

No, the blue is factory color. He was going to do a camo wrap down the middle. It is a factory black Scorpion color, but the black tint is automotive paint tint. Not sure if he has had it in the mud, I haven't seen the truck in a while. I do know that you don't have that issue with Scorpion/Al's Liner like you do with some of the other ones since it isn't porus. A lot of the DIY liners have a ton of talc in the which makes them more porus and more prone to staining. I have a wheelbarrow at my house I sprayed with Scorpion and all I need to do is wash it off with soap and it looks brand new again.

I hadn't looked at the picture of that truck in a while until today. Damn that thing looks cool. :lol:

Hey man thanks for the info a pic. The only thing about the scorpion is that it is a dealer product... And I'm trying to get this done as cheap as possible.. But thanks a ton for the input

Used to be a member in CTB, that had a lime green color done in bedliner. It was a CJ, & you had to get close to even notice the texture. Looked good & always clean, even though we played in the mud. Guess he washed it when he got home; much as I do.

Just remember, whenever you do the bedliner, it'll look great when you first do it. After you get mud on it, it'll never look the same unless you get out there with a scrub brush. Then, it'll fade.

Go look at any bed liner that's been in a truck bed for a few years...

My project is sprayed in speedliner. the underneath is black. the interior is a standard green. The exterior is the standard green with a clear coat sprayed over it with glitter mixed in it. THink bass boat style. It is a love it or hate it look. I did this all before I moved south. I was living in MI at the time and wanted the jeep to be sealed up from the salt as I was planning on it being more of a driver then it is now. It came out looking good. There are a few runs in it, but over all I am very happy with it. But then it hasn't been in the dirt yet.

I have some pictures but it doesn't truely show the sparkle (this still makes me laugh) of the jeep. and it truely is a love it or hate it look.

And the total shipping weight is only 20 lbs for 80 square feet...

Sweet build....why is this in here?

Anyway...

20lbs of product is not enough to cover 80 sq/ft at anywhere near 1/8" unless the expansion reaction is ridiculously high. If it is that high then I bet you'll be greatly disappointed with the durability of the coating.

A decent density coating is going to be pushing 60 lbs to get that kind of coverage.

Here's my 93 I spray bedlined and then sanded to remove the heavy texture (leaving a slight hammered feel/look to it), and then finish coated with Krylon Satin Moss Green and Rustoleum satin black...
It's been done for a year now and has held up perfectly. Stands up to brush rubs and such really well.

afarm7.static.flickr.com_6050_6230840593_d6e4aa9fc9_z.jpg

afarm7.static.flickr.com_6039_6231383504_200a491693_z.jpg

And here's my 89... Same process as above... I wanted to do desert sand but could only find it in flat and that would be a nightmare to keep clean so I settled for Krylon almond satin and Moss Green. Turned out nice IMO

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3354_5743959853_1774d07b31_z.jpg

ive done a jeep and a sami in raptor liner the tintable kind and both turned out great did the jeep red and the sami green.

Back