Custom Wheels nearby?

climbreg0

A friend of mine is looking for some 16.5x12 8 lug wheels with 2 inch backspacing. Summit Racing and several others don't have/can't get them. Anyone know a custom shop in NC (or nearby) who can make these wheels?

guy i know got a set for a dodge from stockton wheel (i think)

he's moving up to 38.5's on his 1978 bronco (very wide already) so he has to have some odd wheels. the other issue is that he's going to run a dana 60 front and dana 70 rear, which means different wheel backspacings. He's looked at stockton, but wants to avoid it if possible because they are in california. He has a dana 60 he could put in the rear, but would like to stick with the 70, would you use the 60 just to stay with the same wheels or go ahead with the 70?

There is a width difference. the 70 is wider and the 60 is stock width for that year. Would there be any noticeable difference between running the a 60 or 70 in the rear? The 70 is built a lot tougher with the full floating and much larger axle shafts, but is it worth the bother of running the different width? If it is a DRW is it appropriate for this use anyway?

He doesn't have the tires yet. I don't think he is planning on beadlocks, but from what I have heard about the 16.5 bead design he may need them. How badly do you need them if you don't run very low pressures?

I suggested a different rim size but he has very big rear drums on the 70, and isn't too keen on grinding down his rotors to fit 15 inch rims up front. Then the 16 inch tire selection is pretty weak (at least in TSL/Boggers which he has been happy with) I believe there is a something in the 38/39 range then they skip to 44. Ideas?

USA6X6 out west or Kirk Dabney in Alabama is my short list for custom wheels. Stockton might be best price and more stock look? There used to be a guy in Statesville that widened wheels but I don't remember his name, maybe someone else on this board will see this post and remember.

Back