Cutting off Wedges

Camplbell08

Ok everyone need input, I have a 95 Bronco im wanting to do a hp dana 44 swap. My question is im want to cut wedges off 1/2 dana 44 so I can install leaf spring perches. Call me crazy but I personaly want leaf springs has anyone done this any pics or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

It's doable. They're welded on, so you have to grind out the welds and knock them off.

The caveat here being that it only applies to the pre-78 axles. 78-79 axles have the wedge as part of a cast assembly that bisects the axle tube. If that's what you have, you'd be better off finding an earlier housing or looking for an F250 D44.

The pre-78s are getting very hard to find. The 78-79 is everywhere because the application lineup increased to include the fs Broncos on top of just the current f100-150.
To convert to an f250 44 to 5 lug us going to require some parts. Luckily it sounds like you already have some of them.

You can't cut them off of a 78-79 1/2 ton 44 front. They are cast into the housing. 77 and older can be cut off.

I have seen people weld leaf spring perches on top of them and drill through them for u bolts.

BTW - You are crazy. Coil springs are much better than leaf springs. It's the biggest advantage of a Bronco over a Blazer.

Why wouldn't you buy a d44 from a 250 that was leaf sprung?

Like @GubNi said most of the ones you find are cast. You should be able to tell looking at them if they are cast or welded on.

Why wouldn't you buy a d44 from a 250 that was leaf sprung?

Like @GubNi said most of the ones you find are cast. You should be able to tell looking at them if they are cast or welded on.
I would but I haven't had any luck finding one at a reasonable price, plus im wanting to keep it 5 lug so it seems more reasonable to remove wedges

Also, pre-78/79 with the weld on wedges are narrower than the 78/79 D44s and the 8.8 that's currently in your 95 bronco. Earlier D44s with the weld on wedges are 58" wms. 78/79 are 65" IIRC. Swapping in the coil sprung 78/79 D44 with radius arms would be an easy swap in your 95. 100s of examples on the web. That being said, if you are dead set on leaf springs and finding an early D44, make sure you can get those leafs mounted with the reduced width.

Also, pre-78/79 with the weld on wedges are narrower than the 78/79 D44s and the 8.8 that's currently in your 95 bronco. Earlier D44s with the weld on wedges are 58" wms. 78/79 are 65" IIRC. Swapping in the coil sprung 78/79 D44 with radius arms would be an easy swap in your 95. 100s of examples on the web. That being said, if you are dead set on leaf springs and finding an early D44, make sure you can get those leafs mounted with the reduced width.
Thanks for that bit of info, that's exactly why I made this post I was not aware of that. Guess its time for me to look into that, I already have wheels just trying to do this logically.

Also, pre-78/79 with the weld on wedges are narrower than the 78/79 D44s and the 8.8 that's currently in your 95 bronco. Earlier D44s with the weld on wedges are 58" wms. 78/79 are 65" IIRC. .

This is not accurate. Early bronco axles are narrower. Full size HP44 axles are full width.

@shawn
early bronco axles are pre-78/79. aren't we saying the same thing?

Edit: I should have been more clear. I forgot that early F100/F150s have full width D44s with weld on wedges.

Last edited:
@shawn
early bronco axles are pre-78/79. aren't we saying the same thing?

Early Bronco axles are narrower than full size axles. Full size axles are open knuckle and high pinion from 1968-1979, and all about 66" wide. The F250 8-lug one might have been ~69" to match the D60, I don't remember. None of the full size axles are less than 65" wide.

I just picked up one of these cast 78/79 front axles. How bad was it to cut all that deal off? Any pics?

The axle tube does not go through that casting.

a77cj.littlekeylime.com_images_dana44_78_79tubesandcoilmountpaint2.jpg

Last edited:
Back