Cutting the spines off of paper workbooks

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
We have this weird situation where my wife (home hospital teacher) needs to digitize a bunch of paper workbooks from a library at a school program that is being shut down. They are inches-thick paperback full-size workbooks. She has been hand box-cuttering the spines off, which of course is a ton of work, so they are loose sheets then running through a multisheet scanner/copier to turn into a PDF for use later since we don't have a place to store the workbooks.

There has to be a better way to quickly slice the spines off but being thin paper seems tricky and a potential for a mess. I'm thinking... band saw, with a heavy board or something on top to keep them flat? Ideally only cutting in 1/4" or something.

[yes, we realize how rediculous this is, the county won't pay for access to just get the digital versions]

Last edited:
Take them up to a print shop. They should have a guillotine cutter. It’ll knock them off in a flash. I always love running one of those. Extremely satisfying to watch. And will leave you with a clean edge. A table or band saw will rip through the paper and you’ll have all those edges intertwined and have to separate them individually.
Guillotine is the answer

Take them up to a print shop. They should have a guillotine cutter. It’ll knock them off in a flash. I always love running one of those. Extremely satisfying to watch. And will leave you with a clean edge. A table or band saw will rip through the paper and you’ll have all those edges intertwined and have to separate them individually.
Guillotine is the answer

How thick can you cut w/ the guillotines?
We have one at work and its good for like 30 pages max.
Some of these workbooks are thicker than a ream of paper.

I feel like the one you're talking about is the office machete on a hinge? The ones they are talking about or at least the ones I've seen are hydraulic with 2" thick steel tables

This. I used to help print church bulletins. The shear could go through a team of paper with no problems.

I think a bandsaw would do the job. but a print shop might be cheaper than buying a bandsaw.

Just incase you need a bandsaw with a large assortment of blades! lol

This is for sale in the misc section on this forum

Attachments

• 20231015_103609.jpg
    20231015_103609.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 19

I used to cut 6” stacks of paper and ours wasn’t a big machine.

What’s more impressive than the thickness it’ll cut is when you can shave the edge of a stack and take off 1/32”

IMG_4880.jpeg

Last edited:
My wife used to make book apples for the kids teachers for Christmas when they were in elementary school. She would sit down with a template and a razor blade for hours cutting. I came in and saw this one day. I told her we would try the band saw on a thrift store book. She used the template to draw it out and I cut them out in 30 seconds. Super clean cut with no pages mashed or anything. I've probably cut a dozen over the years. They cut super clean and pretty on the bandsaw.

My wife used to make book apples for the kids teachers for Christmas when they were in elementary school. She would sit down with a template and a razor blade for hours cutting. I came in and saw this one day. I told her we would try the band saw on a thrift store book. She used the template to draw it out and I cut them out in 30 seconds. Super clean cut with no pages mashed or anything. I've probably cut a dozen over the years. They cut super clean and pretty on the bandsaw.

I made a few of the apple books too. Was easy work with a bandsaw.

Back