D44 Truss install. Looking for suggestions near Concord NC

jstikel3

I am going to be strengthening my front D44 axle soon with a truss/gussets and maybe hammer in sleeves. I have installed the sleeves on my previous Jeep but do not know how to weld. Any suggestions on where to go in the area (live in concord nc) or anyone willing to lend a hand? I can do all the disassembly.

Also I am looking at JCR, Barnes, or Artec truss. Anyone have any direc experiences with these trusses?

I prefer the style of the JCR trusses because they don’t take up as much real estate. I’m sure it’s not as strong but if it’s got sleeves too I’d hope it could survive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I would go with the JCR or Artec. Haven't heard good things about the fitment on the Barnes. As for an installer in Concord your best bet is MarsFab.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I just welded up an artec on my d30. went together well no issues. Nice truss.

Not sure on a qualified welder in your area.

I am going to be strengthening my front D44 axle soon with a truss/gussets and maybe hammer in sleeves. I have installed the sleeves on my previous Jeep but do not know how to weld. Any suggestions on where to go in the area (live in concord nc) or anyone willing to lend a hand? I can do all the disassembly.

Also I am looking at JCR, Barnes, or Artec truss. Anyone have any direc experiences with these trusses?
Be happy to help if you swing up this way. Just a thought

Thanks for the advice y’all. Marsfab was on my radar as I have heard great things. Any clue on what I should expect labor wise?

@marty79 I may take you up on that if the cost is really high I appreciate the offer.

Thanks for the advice y’all. Marsfab was on my radar as I have heard great things. Any clue on what I should expect labor wise?

No reason to speculate @MarsFab let the man speak for himself.

I'll say this, I don't know if you'll like marsfab pricing, I'm damn sure you'll be happy when your jeep leaves Chris' shop.

Exactly, asking what another man charges out of gathering estimates is like playing Telephone. It is how good and bad business identities get all misrepresented. Your job details and criteria may be identical or absurdly different from the next bloke.

Chris has earned an incredibly good rep for custom work. Take folks advice and speak to him. Not trying to be harsh but good folks and business desearve that approach. Anything other then that your a Wal-Mart shopper looking for a dedicated retail niche quality.

Last edited:
A cheap ass welding job on an axle can royally fuck it up easily. I’m more than capable of welding on a truss, but I would get a 4x4 specific fab shop to install it because there are tools and techniques that the pros like Chris (or most any other 4x4 specific fab shop) have fine tuned over the years to keep the axle straight without screwing it up.

While you may save $100 or $300 up front, a warped axle housing as a result will cost you much more $$$ in the end.

I can tell you for fact cheap is a bad thing when it comes to welding trusses on the JK housings. I've replaced a few housings because guys went to others to have the truss put on because they were cheaper. In fact I have a Jeep at my place now that I'm replacing the housing on because the owner had someone else build the axle. They actually bent it so bad the axle was pinned in the sleeve. Here is a picture from my bore scope showing the inside of the tube where the axle was hitting it.
hF62NuYvgQECVBWNXYLI9PvF_8MqS7bla6QbckGOTEjZlPBoCMvcjdMalFrMUoMk1ZH84zHnL4BuBL9WMo-2VIZ3qxKQ3mHv1RqI3kvRkI99IQgcrRwOMtzNbGntC4V67kbZpWH4UJ_3Kj12hF4hKbXa6yJMSAY82KS97tVJFnugLQC6q4HnoojacIdpSth1uWLsCM0kOWCzJX-d17N7_zpuvknsRL822RN-zslgVkGsBeHyjobwTCyh23qxp-E2NCA7F6bQGs6NctFJATtMOmYmLnWB2gnEJkW_6C0QIjwCm41qF6Yun11A5-XI1NA-DrBpJuGvi3OFTijmOWs44rZgMtfvlNQO4l0BgNG7dSWbzGKA98lG7Hbu6vklY3ljB306WjdGRF5prGScCoO8PSmT0p9oVWOTGvnO42IvySsKB5ES9ieIuSL-ZDx-aeAAEK2aBijg4q8dlBeGFbnJylPP4UYQI6DD35XP4J1xi0qKbyl_q8mDQaXaS32NcyBhuaeCQsHuckGKMvG5Clfxx03yJLrx7i6o97Wf_60mBFhpeCol54QXdSdV5M7R1nzG1dAA-lme_kr8v5-ZqExalzXJqUWsh8db2iaJaD18=w478-h637-no

Thanks for the advice guys, I am not trying to cheap out on labor. I fully agree that you get what you pay for in circumstances like this. I have just heard of people getting quotes upwards of $1000 and that's WAY out of my price range. I spoke with Chris and he seems spot on with his advice and was extremely fair on labor.

I have just heard of people getting quotes upwards of $1000
Daiiiuumm that's the people that got more money than sense :D... I'm not sure what the hype is all about I mean it's not rocket science but to each their own:driver:

Back