dana 30 and 35????

1stgenxxx

I've heard plenty of trash talked about these axles. I was wondering if they are as "weak" as people say they are.. Would they be strong enough to handle a set of 34 10.50s? I would be welding the rear diff also and adding a lockrite to the frount.

1stgenxxx said:
I've heard plenty of trash talked about these axles. I was wondering if they are as "weak" as people say they are.. Would they be strong enough to handle a set of 34 10.50s? I would be welding the rear diff also and adding a lockrite to the frount.
The 30 will be good, although I would carry spare shafts. If you have a problem it will most likely be a ujoint or an outer shaft. I would be leery of the 35, especially if you wheel it much. They are prone to break shafts and differentials, especially when locked.

would I be better off swaping a d44 back there?

perhaps a d44 frount and a 60 rear? how incrediably much would that swap cost me minus the price of the axles?

91 xj. I would be beating it pretty hard on 34"s. when they wear out I would like to go on to 36"s. Thats where the fullwidths would comeinto play. What im asking for now is can I beat on the stock axles on 34 without expecting to replace shafts and joints everytime I try an obsticale.. Would it be a good idea to swap a 44 in the rear for now(easy and cheaper than replacing shafts)

I would definitely look for a 44 or at lest a 8.25 to swap. I think you'll get pretty frustrated with that 35 when you beat on it. Maybe some of the XJ guys will chime in on a good d44 donor for an XJ.

would a waggy 44 be the same width as an 35?

waggy d44s are 6 lug 58 inches wide iirc. could go d30-8.8 combo. plenty strong for 34s.matching lug pattern, rear disc brakes, and not to much fab involved. just be sure to weld the tubes on the 8.8!

I ran 35" BFGs on the 35 for a while, and wheeled it kinda hard. I wouldent weld it though, unless its a trail rig only

The 30/35 is a bad combo for the trail. Both prone to break. You say you want to go to 36's so thats what you should plan on. No need to build twice like some folks I know(me). The 8.8 is mentioned, gut also consider the Ford 9 inch. A waggy or J truck 44 front would be good. The J-truck is wider though. But you have two different lug patterns. SO if you went that route you would want to re-drill or use adapters on the 9 inch. The 9 inch is pretty much bomb proof, and parts a plenty. The 44 might break axles but Cro-mos hold up pretty good. Another consideration is the Corp 12 bolt rear. Yes it is a c-clip, but is a little stronger than a 44. I kept a 12 bolt, 10 bolt combo alive running 35 boggers and ARB's front and rear for over 6 years. Never broke an axle, but I did carry spares. Again on this combo, parts a plenty and cheap too. If you want to go 8 lug then the Dana 60 is a good choice, so is a 14 bolt FF, or even a sterling out of a ford or perhaps a Dana 70. All of these will lesson your ground clearance, but mods can be made.
Point is write down all your options, cost, future plans and budget, and go from there.
Hope this helps

Back