dana 30 carrier bearing toast?

Spence

last friday, after pulling my carrier from the dana 30 to install a lock rite, i pulled the outer races, and the passenger side one looked like new, but the drivers side looks terrible,

i wouldnt have ever noticed this if it werent for the locker install, there have been no noises, and VERY, VERY little metal in the fluid, such a fine metal dust i hardly could see it, even after i noticed the bearing

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~awspence/outer.jpg
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~awspence/needles.jpg

what would cause this? i figured if it were dirt it would happen to both sides? just a bad bearing maybe?

also, am i correct to think that fixing this is more work than just pressing on a new bearing? im assuming that backlash and gear pattern will need to be checked at the very least, if not adjusted?

im running this for right now, but i dont expect it to want to last very long, so any advice would be appreciated
adam

How many miles on the bearings/race?

Which bearing was it ring gear side or the other?

Dude thats some weird shit, if one side is ok and the other isn't you may be right about some type of factory defect.

If it were me....Most likely...... I would replace both bearins/races. Try to use the same brand of bearings (it may not matter??). My jeep come factory with Timken bearings. I would go ahead and replace the seals (learned this the hard way, and get the good seals). All of this should be under $40 at AutoZone. They carry Timken Bearings. Replace your carrier shims exactly like they were and you should only have a very minor adjustment to backlash if any.

about 100k on bearings, to my knowledge this is the first time the carrier has been out, ive had it for around 40k miles

it was the non ring gear, short axletube side

For economic reasons (and they have 100k), I'd just replace them for now. Maybe after a few thousand miles, check them again. If the problem exists, seek more help! If you have any problems replacing them let me know.

thanks
ill get it done next time im home, which wont be for a couple weeks, but i doubt ill have too many problems before then

Samething happened to me @ 8K on the clock. The race looked like a bearing had seized and made it 180 before it freed up w/every bearing severely pitted. The drivers side looked brand new, just the passangers side was seized. Still don't know what caused it.

ok, i was thinking about this while sitting in class today, and wondered if i would be less likely to run into problems with backlash etc if i replaced only the bad bearing, keeping the other side completely factory, or go ahead and do both,
i know it would be hardly any more work to do both sides, but id rather just do one if it would be less likely to cause problems

either way, im fully aware this will be more or less a half ass fix, i THINK i will be able to borrow a dial indicator to check backlash, so ill know if i really screw something up, im just really hoping i dont have to adjust anything

Replacing only 1 side is most likely a bad idea. Backlash isn't a big deal. Use OEM bearings and most likely you will not have to adjust anything. If so it will be very minor. JUST KEEP UP WITH WHICH SHIMS WENT ON WHICH SIDE. Not yelling.

ok, thanks, just wanting to think about all this while im 120 miles from all my tools and have nothing better than thermo, fluids, vibrations, and jeeps to think about :driver:

Replace both bearings, with 2 of the same brand bearings.

I STRONGLY suggest brand name bearings i.e. Timken, BCA, etc.

To over simplify -
This applies to carrier bearings.

Backlash is a function of the distance between the ring & the pinion.
If you replace only one side or if you use 2 different brands of bearings you change that relationship.
If you replace both with identical bearings (And keep the shim stacks intact), the left to right dimension will not change.

So in theory, if your backlash and pattern was good before the bearing damage, it should still be OK after you replace the bearings.
You may change the end-play or preload (overall dimension) by replacing both, but it will more than likely change to the good.

Pinion bearings is a different story.

Changing an inner pinion bearing can change the depth of the pinion and effect the relationship between the ring & pinion.

Which brings us to the question...

Should you check the condition of the pinion bearings?
Yes, you should.
If they are OK, Just replace the pinion seal (and ideally, the pinion nut) and reassemble.
If the pinion bearings are hurt, you should really consider, a complete refresh/rebuild.

HTH

If you need parts or advice...let me know. I am just down the road. I can also do the install, but it sounds as if you want to save the $. If the carrier bearings are toast...i would go ahead a get a full rebuild kit. Good chance the pinion bearings are on the way out too..

Seth

Back