Dana 30 u-joint

Keith1138

I'm replacing my u joints. I just had the top of the cap on one popped off. What's the best way to get the rest of the cap off?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Going to get a torch and dremel

No need to do that. If you are using a vise, when you knock the opposing cap up, the shoulder on the cross will push the cap up out of the shaft ear.
It was on the second cap. Now it is flush on both sides of the flanges. I can take pictures when I get back to the house.

No need to do that. If you are using a vise, when you knock the opposing cap up, the shoulder on the cross will push the cap up out of the shaft ear.
And I dont have a vise.

The caps were originally welded on
88e00084bea02a18e20193bfa02c2156.jpg
6cb12ffd1a68459c0d9fd6934f5f88c7.jpg

Driver or passenger side? I should have a spare shaft here in Concord if you need it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Driver or passenger side? I should have a spare shaft here in Concord if you need it.

Driver side I got spare shafts. But they have cheap junk on them.

Is the jeep driveable? You can bring to my house and we can see what we can do with it.

Is the jeep driveable? You can bring to my house and we can see what we can do with it.

I can throw my spare shaft in and lemp it or I can just bring the shaft

I can throw my spare shaft in and lemp it or I can just bring the shaft

I don't think I have any plans tomorrow afternoon. Shoot me a message if you need help.

I don't think I have any plans tomorrow afternoon. Shoot me a message if you need help.

Will do. Do yours have abs rings?

I'd be scared to Re-use the Welded shafts! Plus, if not weakened & out of round, from welding, you going to be grinding them clean. I take it the C-clips, were Inter clips? If Outer clips, then you probably need to dremel the groves, & LOL!

So after closer inspection my spare shaft was in better condition than I thought so I took the stubby end off and put the original on to eliminate the abs ring thing.

Finally done with this. Got both ujoints and unit bearings replaced. My popping sounds I had is gone and my slight wheel wobble is gone. A vise and press would have been so much easier. Than my redneck striking surface.

Back