dana 35 torque specs

dware173

hey i snapped and driveshaft the other night and trashed my rear yoke that comes off my dana 35 and was wondering if anyone new the torque specs for the bolt that holds the yoke on. thanks drew

When snapped mine I just tightened it with an impact and made sure there was no end play since I was reusing the old crush sleeve. Of course not long after that my ring and pinion went so I would not reccomend my first method. When I set up everything with the super 35 kit we did it right and 2 years later it is still working fine.

Leave the wheels on and jack up the rear. Use a inch pound beam type torque wrench to record how much torque it takes to roatate. When re-assembling use Red LockTite and tighten down just until play is gone. Be careful not to overtighten. You should tighten down the pinion nut to your old recording + 5 inch pounds. Once you get the play out, turn the pinion nut in very small increments, it doesn't take much.

You could go by feel also...

If you pinion seal is old, now is a good time to replace it ( around $7??). Regardless if you replace the seal or not, make sure to lube it when replacing the yoke.

not true on the last post, you need to remove the carrier to try that, the dana 35 has a crush sleeve which should never be re used, you basically need to setup up the pinion preload again

there is NO torque spec for the pinion nut, it is however many ft lbs it takes to crush the sleeve to achieve proper pinion bearing preload. it is alot tho somewhere between 300-600 ft lbs

and the "you could go by feel" is kinda vague, sure someone could if they had built alot of them, but not someone who hasn't even been in one

Brendan

Back