Dana 35 trac loc? open diff?

devlsh1

I believe I have a trac loc Dana 35 in my 99 Wrangler. It has the clutch pack behind the spider gears. How does this differ from an open diff? what do I need to make mine ready for a locker?
Thanks, Nick

Your point is valid if I had the budget to do it, which I dont. Now can you answer my question so I can get my Jeep back on the road with the budget I have?

The clutch pack allows some pressure to be applied to both wheels. It is not full engagement like a "locker". The locker will break parts quicker than the LSD (limited slip differential). The Dana 35 can be wheeled within its limits with alot of fun. I would not go over 33" tires and be easy on the skinny pedal.

I put 33's on 2 years ago. The plan is to put a lunchbox (Aussie) locker in. I did upgrade the axel shafts in the rear (unfortunately without ABS tone rings) to try and keep things from breaking. Thanks for the advice, nice to see people helping instead of just being rude.

Thanks for the advice, nice to see people helping instead of just being rude.

RUDE? :shaking:

You tell me I'm rude for trying to warn you and save your butt from trail repairs that could have been avoided?

Give it a few years and you'll see my point of view. After you bust that 35, and wonder why you dropped all th coin into it. and after you hang around teh boards a while and see just how many times this horse has been beaten.

Not trying to be rude, maybe a harsh, but sometimes that helps things sink in. oh and don't aask this question on Pirate... :shaking::lol:

throw it away and get a better Starting point.

Honestly, how many times do we have to harp on this. the D35 isn't worth the $$'s for swapping Diff fluid.
I think if he wanted your opinion about how weak a 35 is he would have ask! I think we all know there are better axels for wheelin, but like he said he can't afford it right now and is trying to work with what he has.

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I can't justify Helping someone waste their money and time. Leave it as a Trac-lock or leave it open and save your money for something worth while. A locker in a stock D35 is a bad... very bad idea. Even worse than that IMHO is to spend the money to beef up the 35 to make it semi strong.

I'm not one to tell someone how to waste their money, and put them in a position for disaster. I'd rather arm them with good info.

Maybe I was a bit brass... oh well.

Yeah, what does MBA know? He's only been stranded for hours at a time and lost days of wheeling waiting on D35 repairs... from either wheeling with someone w/ a "super" D35 or because some punk broke and clogged the trail for those of us smart enough to have "fixed" the issue from the get go. Not to mention the scores of snapped axles from street driving on 235s...

But since you persist, even though you've been advised against it...

Pickup a heavy duty retractable "mechanics" magnet. It must be smaller dia. than a quarter and long enough to reach your chunk down the axle tube. Buy a quality magnet cause you'll wear out the first 5-6 times it gets used... you'll be needing it to drag the broken axle splinters (usually snap where it necks at the splines) out of the side gears. Also, better start stocking up on spares, grab a handful of spare "C"-clips if your 35 uses them, a plastic pan to catch the gear oil you'll loose when dropping the cover, a gal. of 90W & an empty for the old oil.

There, helpful enough? :flipoff2:

Yeah, what does MBA know? He's only been stranded for hours at a time and lost days of wheeling waiting on D35 repairs... from either wheeling with someone w/ a "super" D35 or because some punk broke and clogged the trail for those of us smart enough to have "fixed" the issue from the get go. Not to mention the scores of snapped axles from street driving on 235s...
But since you persist, even though you've been advised against it...
Pickup a heavy duty retractable "mechanics" magnet. It must be smaller dia. than a quarter and long enough to reach your chunk down the axle tube. Buy a quality magnet cause you'll wear out the first 5-6 times it gets used... you'll be needing it to drag the broken axle splinters (usually snap where it necks at the splines) out of the side gears. Also, better start stocking up on spares, grab a handful of spare "C"-clips if your 35 uses them, a plastic pan to catch the gear oil you'll loose when dropping the cover, a gal. of 90W & an empty for the old oil.
There, helpful enough? :flipoff2:

A heavy duty zip lock bag will save some room in your rig for the gear oil pan & since the 35 is going to be re-used just filter the oil thru a rag or a metal coffee strainer. Then you will have some room for the extra shafts, tools, ring & pinion, bearings,c-clips of whatever you can think of

Good luck!!

ill give u an open diff for the install just cause thease people are a bunch of asses -----(i recomend sticking with the track lock ) i would rather have to pull cable than break an axle . if your creative with the brake pedal u can make a track lock work

I haven't looked into upgrading a dana35 in a few years but at that time the only upgraded shafts they offered were a 30 spine or something funky that required a full case locker....

do they now make a 27 spline stock replacement chromo?

Yes I bought yukon cromoly 27 spline axel shafts. Unfortunatly I didnt realize I needed (didnt advertise it either) ABS ring gear installed on it. I eventully got the original off the original axels and installed on the new axel shafts. I just got the open carrier and Im trying to get the ring gear off the old carrier now (7 out of 8 out...1 stubborn bastard to go!!). I just installed the end bearings...almost ready to re-install.

Hey look dont listen to these dillweeds. I know the D35 isnt the strongest thing on the market but usually when someone breaks a shaft they are usually doing something stupid like trying to hop on a rock. I have wheeled with mine for a couple of years and the only problem I have had is when my detroit wasnt installed right and the bolts backed out of it. If you get a superior axle kit you shoud be ok if you want a locker I would go with a detroit in the rear. I love mine. And for all of you who hate seeing it out on the trail here you go:flipoff2:

find another guy with a turdy5 & wait---it will blow:shaking:

Back