dana 44 60 hybird

jeepeater2003

hey all

saw this on pirate and wondered if anyone has tried to do something like this?

it seems like all he did was put 60 knuckles and outers on, an upgraded carrier that holds dand 60 shafts and put 60 shafts in there?
is that correct or do you have to do more than that

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365232

tyler

yeah he just moved the weak link to a spot that is harder to work on. he made the ring and pinion the weak link, i guess that is cool. Nice for ground clearance, but you can shave a 60...

If you're gonna do all that work, I'd do a 9" center, shaved.

Whichever way you go, it's certainly not gonna be cheaper than buying a whole 60.

No, but the clearance is a little better. I have been considering doing this with a 9" just to have something different. Course sometimes its cheaper to go with the flow and just fawkin cut down a 60.

He used to live in Goldsboro, I've wheeled with him a number of times.

The axle he built is sweet, nothing wrong with trying something different and the clearance he ended up with is very impressive.

so you guys think it would be more expensive to build one then buy a dana 60 and build it with new brakes and bearings and all?
i figured with building one you could get all new brakes and bearing and knuckles and make it stronger and cost about the same.

tyler

Looks fine to me, you aren't going to break a HP44 ring gear without huge tires and huge motor. A 9" center section may be stronger, problem there is it's low pinion. Yes, you can buy a high pinion center section for the 9", the only one worth having is over 2k with a 35 spline ARB and 1600 for a spool (true hi9) so then you're going to have huge money in a custom axle. Either shave the 60 of do the hp44 center section with 60 shafts and outers. Money much better spent than on a true hi9 IMHO. Yes I know other companies (currie, etc...) make a high pinion 9" section that is a little less expensive, it uses and 8.8 ring gear and isn't really recommended for tire sizes much over 35-37". If you want the bullet proof route, the hi9 is the only way to go, just so damn expensive. I'm going to replace my rear 9" with one as soon as the funds permit me to.
Just for reference sake, my Ford HP60 with 5.13s,locked, 35 spline outers,new hubs, bearings, highsteer arms, inner shafts,dedenbear knuckles,BTF cover, 5 lug conversion, custom caliper brackets, etc... I got close to 5 grand in(including the original $800 for the axle), and it's stock width and nothing really "trick" about it. Any front axle build custom or junk yard is very pricey if you do it right the first time.

tyler if your considering this because you think it will save you money, it probably will not in the long run. just cause you already have a 44 dosent mean that your going to save a lot. if your willing to drop the coin though, you could have a sweet hybrid front that would take a lot of abuse and have really good clearance. i wouldnt worry about busting the R&P, as long as you dont have any axle wrap it should be okay.

i saw it and was thinking that would be a good idea. a 9" probly would be stronger but like bigwoody said, you should get the hi 9. also, my dana 44 is a LP so i might as well get a HP 44 if i were to do it.
I figured it would be a little cheaper,different,more clearance and i already have it. could set caster... could build it at the same time without droping 1000$ on a 60 and still having to rebuild it.

tyler

ps. john, give me a shout. 919-812-9071. lata

Me and Bill wbcarver had a front 60 and a front 44 sitting outside his shop one day for a customer. both sitting on the same size tires. out of curiuosity we measured the clearance differences. yes the 44 had better clearance, but with a little shaving you could be real close to a 44. wish I could recall the numbers we measured. Maybe bill's gray matter is working better than mine on this.

I would go with the 44/Mog outers...................or 2.5 tons with 44 outers!!!!!
either way......... :huggy:

I think the biggest issue with hybrid stuff is that when you are out on the trail and something DOES break, you are pretty much SOL trying to find a spare. Although, since you did all the work yourself, it's a whole lot easier to fix it when and if it does break. I'd suggest carrying a parts list of what was used when building it, so that it can be easily remembered if you have to send someone to the parts store to get you a spare part. I am constantly having to remember what year each part on my rig is from to get replacement stuff for it (sadly enough, mainly due to wear - not abuse)

There's so little "Jeep" left in my Jeep that when I go on a parts run for it, the parts counter guys usually ask, "Exactly how many vehicles do you own?!?!?" In one run, I have asked for:

Front brake rotors from a 78 International Scout II
Fuel pump from a 93 Jeep Wrangler (to switch to an MPI pump from TBI)
Knock Sensor from a 92 Formula Firebird with 305 TPI
Transfer case output seal from a 1970 Chevy Blazer with a Dana 20 (one year only item)
Locking gas cap for a 90 Wrangler (to fit the original body)

mbalbritton said:
Me and Bill wbcarver had a front 60 and a front 44 sitting outside his shop one day for a customer. both sitting on the same size tires. out of curiuosity we measured the clearance differences. yes the 44 had better clearance, but with a little shaving you could be real close to a 44. wish I could recall the numbers we measured. Maybe bill's gray matter is working better than mine on this.

My front Dana 60 has more clearance then the old D44 it replaced.

your 60 might have more clearnce, but i bet your 44 isn't shaved either.

also,buggy builder, why would you put 44 outers on a duece?

tyler

jeepeater2003 said:

tyler

Man wouldnt it be cool!
Just messing around about the 44 outers on the 2.5's but would really love to build a mog/9....

jeepeater2003 said:

tyler

True but there is a lot more to shave on a 60 then a dana 44 without cutting the ring gear. And its a 60 :flipoff2:

Back