Dana 44 from wagoneer into a pathfinder

Joshlisthaus

Im gonna do a solid axle swap. I need someone to explain how it goes in and what I need to prepare for. The pathy is currently independent front suspension and i was told to build a hanger that fits the spring perch width and make it square with the truck then burn it and build something for the shackles. Any and all feedback welcome!

You should look into lorenzos build on his Isuzu , he is linking the front instead of leafs. Chris at marsfab is doin the work so you could also contact him.

A nice guy actually has everything I need from his old pathy build:
- Steering Box
- 1.5" Steering Links w/7/8" Heims
- Modded Subframe
- 3 link Crossmember
- Upper/lower control arms (2.5" Johnny Joints)
- Upper Coilover mounts
- Tom Woods BAMF Front Drive shaft. (Nissan flange-D44 yoke, 10" slip, 42Deg. travel)

If I put all of that together with the wagoneer axle, what do you guys think?

Using the stuff you listed above, you'd be 3-linking the axle. If that's the case, you would not need spring perches/hanger or shackles since you would not be running a leaf spring suspension.

I won't claim to be anywhere near an expert on suspension design, but I would think a 3-link suspension would allow more travel than a leaf spring suspension (assuming both were set-up properly), but leafs would be easier/quicker to set-up. It all depends on what you want to do and what you want your rig to do, but I'd say if you have access to an already set-up 3-link, I'd go that route (again assuming it was set-up properly & you can replicate that somewhat easily/quickly).

I may be missing something, but wouldn't you have to run the coilovers (or struts, etc.) if you're going 3-link?
Don't coilovers act as the suspension & the 3-link locates the axle, where as leafs do both?

I've got no idea

I believe it does. Since not many R50's are SAS'd you'll need to do a LOT of research before you do the swap to understand the different suspension types. I know I spent countless hours researching any & all SAS'd pick-ups (toyota/chevy/ford/nissan/etc) while I was rebuilding my d44 & d300 and gearing/locking my h233b. The difference being I have a frame to weld to.

Sounds like you want it done ASAP since you failed inspection though. If it were me, I'd go to a different inspection place & hope they didn't flag you in the system. Then while you drive it around stock...research, research, research & then start collecting parts (while still researching).

The question for Josh is: when you took it to get inspected, did they start inspecting it and found the damage or did you tell them about the subframe damage and ask if it would pass inspection? If it's already in the NC database as a reason you were turned down then you have no option but to replace the subframe and get it back stock.
If a shop is that anal then there us no way they're going to pass you if you do the SAS and take it back to the same place for an inspection

My dad took it to woodys and pointed it out. I may just do the subframe and then drop, but why waste the money now when i will eventually throw it all away for the SAS

Back