Dana 44 hub

barton

i can’t remove Dana 44 hub off of j10 axle need some advice there is no clip ring holding locking hub in S.O.S

Take out 6 hex bolts and remove the lockout dial. Remove spring clip (not sure what it's actually called but it's a wire c shaped spring clip that's inside the outer hub case). Screw a couple of the hex bolts back into the lockout and pull.

I've had to rig up a plate to use a slide hammer on them before.

Ten four I have a set of hubs so I just cut it is there a special tool to remove the “washer” that screws on i’ve Done this before but this sucker is tight

Ten four I have a set of hubs so I just cut it is there a special tool to remove the “washer” that screws on i’ve Done this before but this sucker is tight

Theres an inner nut, the washer with all the holes, then the outer nut. Which are you having trouble with? The outer is extremely tight and there is a special socket. Then the washer and inner should come out pretty easy.

Got them out everything was out of whack or seized I had to cut the hub open to dismantle the locking hub basically everything was junk but I plan to try and swap everything from my Dana 30 to my 44 lord willing it will work

For real...you gotta stop posting tech questions in the build thread area.

Got them out everything was out of whack or seized I had to cut the hub open to dismantle the locking hub basically everything was junk but I plan to try and swap everything from my Dana 30 to my 44 lord willing it will work

What D30 hubs are you wanting to swap over? Not sure about the newer unit bearing 30, but CJ D30 hubs are for 27 spline shafts and the J10 shafts are 19 spline stubs. Plus, the J10 stub shafts are longer than the CJ stubs. CJs use smaller U joints than the J10 D44 so you can't just swap over the stub shaft. Newer D30s use the same 297 ujoint as the J10s but I don't know how the stub shafts compare. You may be able to get an aftermarket CJ stub shaft with the larger U joint (I was able to do this to get an EB inner shaft to mate to a GM D44 stub).

Bottom line, unless you just happen to have the right parts laying around, you'll be better off to just replace the D44 hubs.

What D30 hubs are you wanting to swap over? Not sure about the newer unit bearing 30, but CJ D30 hubs are for 27 spline shafts and the J10 shafts are 19 spline stubs. Plus, the J10 stub shafts are longer than the CJ stubs. CJs use smaller U joints than the J10 D44 so you can't just swap over the stub shaft. Newer D30s use the same 297 ujoint as the J10s but I don't know how the stub shafts compare. You may be able to get an aftermarket CJ stub shaft with the larger U joint (I was able to do this to get an EB inner shaft to mate to a GM D44 stub).

Bottom line, unless you just happen to have the right parts laying around, you'll be better off to just replace the D44 hubs.
Not to mention they have external lockouts where as "most" j truck 44's have internal lockouts.Plus the 30 hub will be five lug and the 44 is 6.And IIRC the spindles,bearings all are different.

Not to mention they have external lockouts where as "most" j truck 44's have internal lockouts.Plus the 30 hub will be five lug and the 44 is 6.And IIRC the spindles,bearings all are different.
I just went and bought a new set of hubs and hub assembly with bearing everything will be new except for the r&p

Last edited:
My apologies I didn’t knowing was that big of a deal

You want your questions to get answered, right? You get better views, replies, and answers when they're in the right place.

Back