dana 44 outers question

jdubb

What is the difference in 44 outers from an early Bronco to a late model Wagoneer? If i have some Bronco hubs will the Wagoneer spindles and outer stub shatfs be the right length? I am trying to convert a Wagoneer to 5 on 5.5 wheel bolt pattern. I have the D30 HP on 95 Yj and want to maybe run 36 inch tires on the Wagoneer axle. I know the D30 Hp axle is close to the strenght of low pinion D44 but what about the shafts. With some Ox joints or CTMs can I run a Detroit with 36s? I am adicted to a locker in the front soince I started using the EZ locker in my D30 HP. I think I can get wheel adapters/spacer to convert the rear 8.8 to 5 on 5.5.

I'm not sure about the Waggy stuff. Are your EB hubs disk or drum? I converted my 44 from drum to disk. The drum spindles are 6 bolt and about an 1/8th inch too short to run disk brakes. So I swapped a Chevy front spindle and backing plate for my drum pieces. Then used a '78/79 Bronco rotor. A '76-77 EB that came with disks has a different knuckle and spindle. They are a large 5 bolt pattern like a F150. They still use the same bearings and the hubs will swap. The stub shafts are all close in length. Some will use a snap ring and others a bolt in the end of the shaft.

disk brake

They are disk brake. I think I will buy the junker Waggy axle and compare measurements while I have the Bronco axle here. My buddy is ordering parts for his Bronco 44. He is restoring the whole thing so he decided to get new hubs and lockouts.

Is there an advantage to a 5 lug pattern as opposed to a 6 lug pattern, other then the ease of finding wheels?

The bolt pattern I was refering to was the bolts that hold the spindle(the piece that the hub/rotor rides on) to the knuckle. Some guys that convert their EB's to disk like to keep their vehicles all Ford. So they have to swap everything including the knuckles out. I went with the Chevy parts because I had most of the parts and its by far the cheapest route. Another thing to remember is a full size diff will have larger U-joints in the axles than the Bronco.

Well it turns out the splines in the hub are wallowed out pretty bad so they're trash. Thanks for the input.

The Waggy 44 I have at the house uses a larger inside wheel bearing then a Bronco. So you can not put the bronco hub on a waggy spindle. The spindles also use a differant bolt patten.

Sam(slim)

Back