Dana 44 variations?

Scott86MJ

I'm working on installing a waggy d44 front and isuzu d44 rear in my MJ. I have zip lockers and 488 gears to install. After disassemble I found that the isuzu has a crush sleeve, no oil slingers or oil baffle. Will I be able to install the new gears with the shims? The original pinion looks like the new one other than more teeth. Also the isuzu housing had an O ring seal with RTV on it beside the carrier bearings but it has axle seals at the end of the axle like other rear d44s i've worked on. Anyone ever changed gears on one of these? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1999.JPG
    IMG_1999.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2001.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 78
I should have posted this in the axle forum but I cant see how to delete it. Can some one move it?

After looking at the housing differences between the front waggy and rear Isuzu rodeo rear, I’m guessing that the reason the rear axle doesn’t have oil slingers or oil baffle is that the ring gear slings oil to the opening at the top of the housing. I’m still curious if anyone knows if I need to find O rings for the axle beside the carrier and also why it has a crush sleeve and shims at the inner and outer pinion bearings?

Attachments

• DFA2E067-71C1-4AC1-8268-55369D5B469F.jpeg
    DFA2E067-71C1-4AC1-8268-55369D5B469F.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
After looking at the housing differences between the front waggy and rear Isuzu rodeo rear, I’m guessing that the reason the rear axle doesn’t have oil slingers or oil baffle is that the ring gear slings oil to the opening at the top of the housing. I’m still curious if anyone knows if I need to find O rings for the axle beside the carrier and also why it has a crush sleeve and shims at the inner and outer pinion bearings?
Those aren't o rings, its excess sealant from when they pressed the tubes in.

Generally you only get pinion oil slingers or baffles on high pinions.

I found another difference on the Isuzu d44, the inner pinion bearing is different. The inside of the bearing is the same, it fits on the new pinion but the outside is smaller. My setup race and the shims do not fit in the housing. My only option is to buy a new bearing and try to put the original shim under the bearing. I have a clamshell bearing puller so I should be able to remove it without damage. I will try ECGS and see what I can get for shims if the original doesn't work out right.

Last edited:
Is this a 98+ with the bigger jk style ring and pinion? If so there may be more info in the Isuzu section on pirate. I remember a few threads about regearing those from back when.

Is this a 98+ with the bigger jk style ring and pinion? If so there may be more info in the Isuzu section on pirate. I remember a few threads about regearing those from back when.
It is a 93-95 style. I ordered an Isuzu Rodeo specific master install kit today from ECGS, it is supposed to be here tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get it installed by the end of this weekend.

I have the Isuzu d44 install kit and I have shims for the inner and outer pinion bearings and a new crush sleeve. I'm wondering why I would need the crush sleeve?

I have the Isuzu d44 install kit and I have shims for the inner and outer pinion bearings and a new crush sleeve. I'm wondering why I would need the crush sleeve?
The kits are always a little generic. Set your pinion depth with the inner bearing shims. Then set your preload with the outer shims. I wouldn't use the crush sleeve unless I didn't have shims.

Back