Dana 60 Detroit question

Van-go

Not an old man
So we installed a Detroit up front in my 60.
I don’t have a driveshaft installed and locked the hubs and tried to drive it. It was extremely hard to steer on pavement and was acting like it had a spool in it.

shouldn’t it unlock or ratchet if there is no power to it?

I was going to put slugs up front, but don’t want to if it’s gonna be locked all the time.

What happens if you spin one tire with both off the ground? Does it ratchet and what direction does the opposite tire spin?

What happens if you spin one tire with both off the ground? Does it ratchet and what direction does the opposite tire spin?
They are locked together from what I can tell.

In that case, your Detroit is bound up. You can disassemble it easily to see what is going on. Not the news you wanted I know...

Is it a new detroit? Or did it come out of something else?
Not new. I took it out of a rig a while back. I have another one I could swap in.
@Jody Treadway its been sitting out of the axle for a while. Is there an easy way to make it not bound up?

Not new. I took it out of a rig a while back. I have another one I could swap in.
@Jody Treadway its been sitting out of the axle for a while. Is there an easy way to make it not bound up?

Take it apart and see what's going on inside. Unbolt the halves, you'll see a big spring and some couplers. Look for signs of broken teeth or the spring to be failed.

Guess we should have used the other Detroit. For the quickness I just swap in the other Detroit if it's a known good one. Let me know if you need to borrow the bearing puller.

Guess we should have used the other Detroit. For the quickness I just swap in the other Detroit if it's a known good one. Let me know if you need to borrow the bearing puller.
I can at least take the other one apart and inspect it before I swap it.
You wanna do it tonight? lol I leave Saturday morning for uwharrie.
Or should I just send this one and see what happens?
I’ve read that they can unlock on their own after actually using them...

I can't tonight, but if it were me...
560.jpg

He won't need a

I'd drive it and see if the lube and movement helps it free up. Could be stuck if there's some surface rust present.

If you are going to URE this weekend it is going to be a slippery mud fest so having it stuck locked vs broken and not locking is a much better alternative

If you are going to URE this weekend it is going to be a slippery mud fest so having it stuck locked vs broken and not locking is a much better alternative
Yeah I’m not happy about the weather. Sunday should be better

I would just drive it this weekend. If it steers like shit because it doesn't free up, hop out and unlock the driver side front hub, then lock it back in when you need to. My old cab truck had a welded 60 front, and that is how I drove it.

So did it ever unlock and start working right?

Back