dana 70 - 6 to 8 lug?

blasterr1

anyone know of, or had any dealings with goin from a 6 lug, to 8 lug on a late model dana 70 out of a dodge? found one pretty cheap, so if its possible, and not too spendy, id like to pick it up. thanks

I need this information also as I have aquired a 6 lug dana 70 but need 8 lug to match a 60 front. If anyone has any info it would be helpful.

Here are a few pictures of the said axle. If it is too much $$$ to change it over to 8-lug I will use the 4.88 gears out of it. Does anyone know ANYTHING about this axle? I was told it is out of a late 70's Dodge 1 ton. It has a very large 6-bolt pattern.

Would it make just as much sense to convert it to disc brakes instead of using the drums?

2007_0115D700001.jpg

2007_0115D700002.jpg

2007_0115D700003.jpg

its not 6 on 5.5 is it? Cause if it is i will strait buy that from you asap so you can go buy one with 8 lug

Good idea. I have never seen this before - would be interested to know what the bolt circle is for the 6-lug pattern.

Disks would probably be easier. Any chance you can pull it apart,and check bearing #s with a 60? Then you could swap on some different hubs and do a standard disk conversion.

Andy

ok someone on pirate just told me that it is an old IH axle. I don't know if his info is accurate.

andy-
I don't have the axle with me right now, it is at tacoma747's house, but if I head down to charlotte soon I will bring it and you can have a look.

The ring and pinion is unique to the older 70's and won't work in the newer ones. They changed them in the mid 1970's. As for converting it - no ideal.

The outer spindle bearing is Timken #28580

Could someone cross check that on their D60 or whatever. I may end up comparing it to my D70.

If the hubs and disk brakes will work this would be a very nice axle. It is not rusted very bad, and with 4.88's it would not need to be regeared.

Thanks

Back