Daylight savings time year round

Would you prefer to have daylight savings time year round?

• No, I like it how it is now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • Get rid of it all together

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.58beb8f36604

Would you prefer to have daylight savings time year round?

I leave my house at 6:30-6:40am, and return at 5:30pm, so in the winter it is dark when I leave in the morning, and dark when I return in the evening. I would like it if they made it year round. That way I would have at least a little time of light after I get home from work.

I see no benefit of it, makes it a real bitch in the winter if you have to work outside after work.

It is my understanding that we are in daylight savings time now. I'm good with it like this and having the extra daylight hour after work in the winter.

On the flip side, it would be way dark for kids going to school in the morning, though it seems that they are all driven to school now for whatever reason. I could see that being an issue for the safety of kids waiting for the bus.

Standard time for me. With computers and other electronical stuff, and subsequent timestamps on everything, it's stupid to swap back and forth.

If schools want to run the buses in daylight, they can just shift open/close hours in fall and spring. Same for work.

If yall want to get home before dark, go in an hour early.

So which option is to keep the time the same as it is in the summer?

That option is Yes. We are on Daylight savings time now. If we stayed on it year round, it would get dark at 6:30pm in the winter instead of 5:30pm.

Wouldn't we still have to shift back every so often or eventually it'd be sunny out at like 3am because of the way the time works?
No, that's what leap years are for.

Can we get an option for "I don't care which, just stop changing it!"

That option is Yes. We are on Daylight savings time now. If we stayed on it year round, it would get dark at 6:30pm in the winter instead of 5:30pm.

And the sun wouldn't come up until 9AM.

Standard time for me. With computers and other electronical stuff, and subsequent timestamps on everything, it's stupid to swap back and forth.

If schools want to run the buses in daylight, they can just shift open/close hours in fall and spring. Same for work.

If yall want to get home before dark, go in an hour early.
I agree with it being stupid swapping back and forth but at a place like my job you can't get off an hour early just because you go in an hour early. You are there to fill a certain shift time and are expected to stay until the next shifts time is to start. But I understand what your saying.

And the sun wouldn't come up until 9AM.

Works for me. I'm stuck inside a large building staring at a computer all day. It can be pouring rain outside, and I might not even know.

I hate th time change because at work we have a workorder that comes up on each piece of equipment to change the time on it twice a year. Waste of time and alot of it with something like 1500 pieces to locate and change that don't automatically change each time change.

You realize though that it only goes back one hour then forward one hour, where would the extra hours come from?
Roundoff error :flipoff2:
That 2 minutes it takes from when you started setting the nuclear clock until you finished going through the procedure per the manual.

Works for me. I'm stuck inside a large building staring at a computer all day. It can be pouring rain outside, and I might not even know.

In December, it's dark when I drive to work, and it's dark when I drive home.

If it bothers you that much, just get up an hour earlier.

In December, it's dark when I drive to work, and it's dark when I drive home.

If it bothers you that much, just get up an hour earlier.

I can't shift my work schedule 1 hour earlier. I drop my son off at school at 7am (early bird drop off), then I am at work at 7:15am.

If I had the option of going to work earlier and leaving earlier, I would do it.

Last edited:
So if yes is to stay the way it is now wouldn't yes and get rid of it all together be the same vote?

No. Getting rid of it all together would have it get dark 1 hour earlier than it is now since we are now on Daylight savings time. Getting rid of it would mean getting dark at 8pm in the middle of the summer instead of 9pm.

I'm all for making it the new permanent time.
While US Congress has to act to change US observance (or not) of DST, technically each state can decide which time zone they want to be in. So the approach taken in many states is to say, ok then, we're shifting a time zone eastward, and then not observing DST - like Arizona does now. Apparently there's a whole cadre of New England states that are trying to band together to switch to Atlantic time (what Newfoundland is on), but it only makes sense if they all do it together.

The biggest argument against the permanent shift is schools - as mentioned, that means little kids will be waiting for the bus out in the dark during the winter months. Keep in mind the bulk of the school calendar happens during those shorter days. In cities and suburban area w/ lots of lights, its less of a big deal but in rural areas where there are no street lights (we don't have them in our neighborhood at all) it's awkward for a 7 year old to be hanging out on the street corner in the dark. This is the kind of thing that makes some parents twitchy.

Yeah, time is arbitrary and theoretically people can just switch their own daily schedule to match whatever they need. Except, many people can't. I don't get to determine what time school starts and gets out. I don't get to decide what time my boss schedules meetings for. A lot of people work in factories and places with shift hours and just have to do what times are required.
Hell that's the whole reason we have to have unified time in the first place.

And regardless of what you do, its always gonna suck for the people that are juuuust on one side or other of the line. NC is pretty much right in the middle of the Eastern Time zone.

Back