Dayton

shawn

running dog lackey of the oppressor class
Administrator
I pulled some old books off the shelf this morning, and one of them had a map of the Kinzalow trails in it.

Kinda neat... and a little depressing.

Near Dayton, TN. I got to go out there once with Rich, Bruce, Mike, Terry, and a few other folks in.... Probably.... 2004? I understand Mr Kinzalow sold or donated the land to the state (or something like that) a few years ago.

Yep, I loved riding that place:(. Didn't get the last couple club rides there. My 231 took a dump last time I got to ride ther after the first day there, Ben smith and I drove most of the night to get there the night before. :(

I miss Dayton, Robbinsville, Crackers Neck, Mtn City, The Globe trail, Crossville... And those are the ones on the top of my head :(

At least I got to ride them. I want to rebuild my Jeep and head out west before more are closed.!!! Time and money,...

Last edited:
I HEAR YOU!! Just think, when I joined the CTB, there was bout 30 Trails, to ride. Globe & Robbinsville, was part of the 30. Many were in the Pisgah area, of which, I guess Brown Mtn., is all that's left, of that. Some trails we only rode every other year!:(

Every time I miss a ride (every ride these days) I think of all the places we used to be able to ride that we no longer can. :(

That was my main reason for the decision I made. I think the final closing at Callalantee was the straw that broke the camel's back. I won't attempt to tell anyone that I don't miss it, but I am still comfortable with my decision. Almost 20 years of it, and a lot of great memories.

James and I first met at Darnell's Creek... most of today's crowd probably never heard of it.

That was my main reason for the decision I made. I think the final closing at Callalantee was the straw that broke the camel's back. I won't attempt to tell anyone that I don't miss it, but I am still comfortable with my decision. Almost 20 years of it, and a lot of great memories.

James and I first met at Darnell's Creek... most of today's crowd probably never heard of it.

n. wilkesboro was awesome

I'm glad I got to ride Callalantee a few times before it closed.
rode in the freezing snow too.
Tellico, never got to go.
And I've seen video of Globe. Looks like fun.
This is the reason why I wanna move west or northwest.
Everything for us is private (or small and private) or far away. Even the private places around here risk being shut down.
Not complaining at all - this is not a cheap hobby by any means. And the landowners need support too.
but seems as though the "good ol days" we had more places to ride that were nearby.

We'll never have it as good as you old farts did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I got to ride Dayton once as a guest of the club. I called the club "hotline" and got Robbie Mozely who set up someone for me those ride with because my blazer wouldn't make it that far. I ended up riding with Kevin Harris in his Samurai. That was an awesome piece of property to ride!

Dayton was an great place to ride ans I'll go to my grave missing Crackers Neck and Callalantee. But these new places Kairos and Good Evening Ranch are pretty awesome. I just wish we had some good, close NC Trails that we could call home.
Couple pictures from Dayton.

Attachments

• 7296.JPG
    7296.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 7309.JPG
    7309.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 7307.JPG
    7307.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 184
Dayton was an great place to ride ans I'll go to my grave missing Crackers Neck and Callalantee. But these new places Kairos and Good Evening Ranch are pretty awesome. I just wish we had some good, close NC Trails that we could call home.
Couple pictures from Dayton.
This.... I miss Callalantee too. I plan to hit up GER and Kairos this year. I still have a dream of property to wheel when it's all gone.....

Man I miss that place along with Robbinsville and crackers neck. Rode many of those places with CTB back in mid to late 90s. Good times.

Man I miss that place along with Robbinsville and crackers neck. Rode many of those places with CTB back in mid to late 90s. Good times.
Great places to ride and such a great bunch to be on the trail with at that time. Dayton and tellico were about as good as it can be!

Who remembers Short-Off Mt. The climb up was great, trip down the other side was something else.
I remember going in when the River was low, & came back out to find it High! When you dove off into it, the water came up to the windshield. But once you leveled out, it was around 33". Judging by tires!
As for Dayton, I had pictures of Scott Fields & Family, in their Defender! 🥰

Who remembers Short-Off Mt. The climb up was great, trip down the other side was something else.
Back when I was in High school, I took many trips up short off mnt. I'd drive up in my 48 Willy's, and spend the day with some "maiden" LOL Sit on the cliffs, and watch the clouds roll through the gorge. I'll be honest, I didn't know their was a back side, I never drove that far. I did however hike from Wolf Pit all the way over to Table Rock several times when I was in the Boy Scouts.

Back when I was in High school, I took many trips up short off mnt. I'd drive up in my 48 Willy's, and spend the day with some "maiden" LOL Sit on the cliffs, and watch the clouds roll through the gorge. I'll be honest, I didn't know their was a back side, I never drove that far. I did however hike from Wolf Pit all the way over to Table Rock several times when I was in the Boy Scouts.
Go all the way across, foot trail goes strait on to table rock. Road bears to the right and it really gets steep down to the bottom. Comes out on table rock road as I remember.

Back