Dead Coyote

They don't. If they think a pet has encountered a rabid animal and the pet's vaccination isn't up to date... say your goodbyes.

I don't think they can test people, either. If there's a chance you've been bitten by a rabid animal, you just get the shots.

Really? Wasnt aware of that how do they test for rabies on live pets???

Hes right. Rabies tests can only be done on animals with brain tissue samples. They use something called a direct fluorescent antibody test which requires at least the brain and brain stem. They can test humans with a combination of tests including saliva, blood, spinal fluid, and skin biopsies of hair follicles. Id rather just get the shots than go through all that stuff.​

It's really weird you posted this. I live in the Northlake/ University area of Charlotte and about two weeks ago I was laying in bed about 12PM when I heard a strange howling/laughing outside the house. I grabbed my carbine as I tripped over my Lab and made my way out the back door. I threw the light across the back yard and right at my fence there were 5 maybe six of them at my fence line. They were in the cow pasture that backs up to my neighborhood. I find it very unusual they are in such a populated area. From what I could tell they had more of a red coat and looked to be 75-90 lbs. Are these coyotes i'm experiencing too? My dog wouldn't even go out and piss by himself a couple of days prior to that.

I saw a Coyote yesterday morning while out walking rat dog. Walking through the forest across from my apartment. Kinda weird to me since it's pretty well populated around here.

I think it may have been kicked by a large buck or doe it was chasing and that broke his jaw and maybe the upper pallet also-some upper teeth look dead and cracked. Or it might have been a large leg trap that gotem and it came off w the hide. The only good Coyote, is a dead Coyote.

Coulda been in a fight with something as well ....that looks sorta like an infection (that evidently killed it)

It's really weird you posted this. I live in the Northlake/ University area of Charlotte and about two weeks ago I was laying in bed about 12PM when I heard a strange howling/laughing outside the house. I grabbed my carbine as I tripped over my Lab and made my way out the back door. I threw the light across the back yard and right at my fence there were 5 maybe six of them at my fence line. They were in the cow pasture that backs up to my neighborhood. I find it very unusual they are in such a populated area. From what I could tell they had more of a red coat and looked to be 75-90 lbs. Are these coyotes i'm experiencing too? My dog wouldn't even go out and piss by himself a couple of days prior to that.

We see them all the time in Charlotte At night when going through the railyard up there, Also see a lot of deer.

FYI Coyotes can be many different colors, I've seen red ones, grey,tan, some colored like standard german sheperds- brown and black, and even solid white and solid jet black ones. A friend shot a pure white one while deer hunting this year and it was NOT an albino. At a distance the best way to identify them is by their gait or how they move, usually trotting at a brisk pace w their head/ears searching left and right for their next meal.

We have yotes in my development (inside city limits, but borders lots of county ag land), along with deer. I figure the deer are moving in closer, due to lack of hunting pressure, and the predators are following.
A farmer bud a few miles away regularly looses chickens, goats, & calves to them. We've sat for days (strict scent control, calls, even live chicks staked in field) and have never seen one... Though we regularly hear them and his neighbor has a llama roaming with the cows that occasionally lays the smackdown on a yote.
The best he's done is a spring loaded "noose" type trap (non-lethal has stop on the cable for the occasional stray hunting dog) placed over a bait hole. That's netted a couple, but hasn't put a dent in them yet...

I hunt them a good bit, I would say that was a recent injury and not a disease. He looks to be in good shape other than the injury. I had to shoot 2 last month that were pulling down a 2 day old colt in the horse pasture behind our house. The Mare had kicked both of them several times, but they would'nt give it up. They are not a very respectable animal and they make excellant bullet holders.

fox shot.jpg

Back