decision, decisions... *long*

RufusTheRam

So, I'm really at a crossroads with my truck build. My taste in rigs has changed/matured alot since I first started the build a couple years ago. I think that change has largely played a factor in my lack of motivation to get this thing finished. The standard time/money thing has of course been the number one issue. When I had time to work on it, I had very little money. Now that I have some money, I have very little time.

Anyway, for those of you that don't know I'm doing a complete makeover of a 99 ram 1500. I wheeled it from day one, made some basic upgrades/changes over the years. My level of wheeling started getting to the point where I was breaking alot of stuff, and I got sick of it. I was going to build a huge monstrosity that would go to the moon and back and never break. Right.

My plan was (and still is right now) for Rockwells, linked front and rear, some sort of doubler or low range gear set, and some metal/body work (redoing existing flatbed, front bumper, etc.). Front axle is shoved ~10 inches forward, and the rear ~2 inches forward with the frame hacked off just behind. Tires are 385/95r20 michelins (48's) on 20" beadlocks.

Sure, it'll have a hell of a wow factor, should rarely have drivetrain issues if at all, etc. etc. but it will be HUGE. Also, where will any real challenge be with something on Rockwells and 48's? Will I be able to really USE the truck, or is it just going to become something exspensive to gawk at and take through the widest trails I can find?

The past 6-12 months, my focus and admiration has switched from builds like this to things that are much smaller, well built, and can still go about anywhere with the right driving. I'm considering going back to something very basic and much smaller. 1 tons, super low height, and a max tire of 36". I'm starting to think something like that will be much more useable/practical, and provide much more satisfaction when I complete a tough trail. It will lack any real originality/creativity though. I've been wheeling stock/very mildly built trucks the past 2 years, and I've been having an absolute blast. Largely due to the underdog factor and driver skill required. You can't just point and shoot.

Anyway, any thoughts/opinions welcome. I'm at a point in the build where I can still switch directions, and not be too much time/money out. I am DEFINITELY still building this particular truck. It's been my love since I got it with 8 miles, struggled to make payments on it while going to college, investing countless hours of blood/sweat/tears, and countless hours of fun all over the eastern part of the country. I just can't decide what I want to do, and it's driving me nuts. I need a decent rig back!

welcome to the club :)

Like you I was all hot/heavy in the 4x4 stuff when i got into it back in 98, then sometime between starting my zukebuggy and finishing it, somthign changed. That evolved into my current jeep project... Its not the best at any one thing. But my goal is for a solid wheeler that can still be reliably street driven and be driven to the beach and back.

Not a week goes by that i think i might be happy with a super stock TJ with a bolt on lift and some 33s :) Then i think about breakage and tools etc.. Id rather be the over built, bulletproff guy on the bunny trail than 'that guy' who continually drive byond the rigs ability.. And honestly thats where the 2.5ton guys are too, have fun and minimize breakage. There are just different levels/types of fun.

I fully understand why more people are building these kick ass 4 seater vehicles. Its all about the friends and people around you...

Im ready to pull cable to keep that where as before I wasn't...

Holler when you feel like working on it again... I'm still at that point.. Been on stands for 2 weeks waiting for me to bolt my front leaf back in :)

you could trade the 48's for some 38's (xml's of course), flip the hubs on the rocks (to get it narrow) and get/make one of those high clearance diff cover deals. should still have awesome ground clearance, but you'll have a little more challenge with the smaller tires. wouldn't have to worry about breaking at all probably.

Problem with that is street use. Disc brake kits with the hubs flipped in are alot of $$. That's not a big concern though, overall width can be controlled enough with wheel backspacing. Main problem would be road use, I still plan to drive it on the street. 38's would limit the top speed to something unusable anywhere but around town.

That does bring up another advantage to going smaller. While my current plan would keep it safely streetable as far as parts quality is concerned, trips anywhere would still be a pita without a tow rig. something on 1 tons and 36's would be easily driveable for long distances. It went on 1-2k mile trips a number of times on 38's.

maybe consider running different axles, stock 60's or a built rear 9" and a built 60, price might be a bit higher, but also not overkill. still street legal and easy to bolt on disc brakes. could run a good tire size such as 40"s or 38"s, then get some good body armor. Should be enough to surfice having fun and being protected.

yager said:
Not a week goes by that i think i might be happy with a super stock TJ with a bolt on lift and some 33s :)

I wanted a jeep

Wanted one since my first CJ-5 19 years ago (first vehicle I bought at 14 with money from my dishwashing job at the rest home down the road..all mine BIACHE!!) then I had to SELL it to go to college :rolleyes: been trying since then to recapture my youth and get another one. Finally did, then went up to Jeep Mecca (amcjeepman's place) and discovered my new destiny.....to have MORE THAN ONE JEEP!!

I'm building this one slowly to be my "Uber youth recapturer" :lol: which won't see anything tougher than URE.....but plans are in the works for a beater for trail only that will have full width 60's and nothing bigger than 38's to go have fun in.

You CAN have it all, but it comes with having more than one ride.

I figure it'll cost about as much to make ONE rig that does everything well, as it will to have 2 very purpose built rigs (one that doesn't have to actually PASS inspection :D )

heh...gee ain't it funny to see happening to several folks! Sold my YJ on ebay last week, guy picks it up this weekend! For right now, will be doing a little 4x4ing on an atv and thinking I will buy a used Rubicon in the next few years, and stick BFG M/T 33s on there and winch and call it done! Drive it to work, etc. [Esp if the new TKs get better tow ratings!]

Bigger they are, the worse they suck on the road...if YJ had been fun to drive to work I would still have it...did the whole, stock, bigger, get a tow rig and trailer it...cycle and back to phase 1, or phase 0 actually!

So I guess I am saying look hard at whether you want that "next" step or want to even back off a hair?

Sam

Trade those Rocks for some one tons, sell the rims tires and get some 38-40s and wheel.

I have been building since I dont know when. But last weekend at Windrock wheeling w/ some buds who have ran the same junk for years w/ subtle mods along the way is a hell of a lot better than my 2-3 year build to get to what I want.

Franklin said:
Trade those Rocks for some one tons, sell the rims tires and get some 38-40s and wheel.

x2

Get a spare rear driveshaft and you could reliably drive it and wheel most places and still get home.

Why 36" tires? Seems way too small for tons and you would drag the diffs all over the place.

I imagine you could have it done in a very short amount of time and be out on the trail instead of in the garage for another 1-2 yrs or whatever.

see my post in classifieds:D
Bigger they are, the worse they suck on the road...if YJ had been fun to drive to work I would still have it...did the whole, stock, bigger, get a tow rig and trailer it...
you hit the nail on the head sam... i think i've realized that if i'm going to build something that extreme, i should quit dicking around and just build a buggy. i'm not ready for that though, nor are my fab skills/equipment ready:flipoff2:
Why 36" tires? Seems way too small for tons and you would drag the diffs all over the place.
you've never seen me drive... the gas pedal is an on/off switch:flipoff2: i'll try to crawl something for about 20 seconds, then get impatient and give it hell. i could probably get away with 38's. no bigger unless i changed my driving style. also, if i do this it's going to be LOW... like stock height or a little over.
I imagine you could have it done in a very short amount of time and be out on the trail instead of in the garage for another 1-2 yrs or whatever.
i COULD have the rockwells finished in not much time if i had the time. if i switch to 1 tons, i don't forsee it taking much less time... i just think i'll be alot happier with the end result now that my taste in rigs and the qualitys they should have has changed.

oh well, we'll see how it turns out. i'm still weighing out both sides.

RufusTheRam said:
Also, where will any real challenge be with something on Rockwells and 48's?

I've got a buggy on 48's(goodyear mvt's) and mogs. Theres plenty of chalange. These types of tires are hard and don't grip anything like a swamper, much less Krawlers. Plus the goodyears are softer than michilens. Don't think just because they are big that they work good-ever see anybody in a comp run them?

yeah, that's sort of my point also... why use a 48" tire to get something done that a much smaller tire with better compound can do just as well.

that said, i've heard mixed reviews on the michelins. some people swear they work as good as a swamper if you give them a healthy grooving.

lots of pros and cons coming out from both sides, keep them coming... i think i was so hell bent on having the biggest baddest fullsize around a couple of years ago i didn't thoroughly reasearch my options from the point of practicality and usefullness.

I only have two words for you:

Toy

Ota.

ivan i know exactly what your going through here. i was all gung ho, build some bad ass shit, then reality hit. i realized i had to go to college and there was no feasable way for me to finish my buggy before i went to school. i had to make the decison to give it up and do somthing else. maybe someday i can finish it, but for now i think ill be happy with the toyota. i think troy is right though, to really do what you want you need multiple rigs. a couple people told me that one weekend they were stuck behind a bronco on rocks, 44s and pane and the dude just couldnt do anything. driver ability has a lot to do with it. like jim said earlier, having a buggy on 46's dosent mean you can walk all over anything

Back