Diesel oil shortage?

Clubbs

Maybe it's just out here in the sticks, but it's getting hard to find 15w40 diesel oil or any of it's similar synthetics. Been that way for a couple months and now most shelves are empty. Anyone know what's going on?

I was told by the guy at Car quest that all additives for synthetic oil come from Russia so between Covid, trade restrictions and the Ukraine situation- its not gonna get better for a few years.

If you're real desperate just drive around town and hit all the auto parts store. I scored 13.5 gallons of T6 this weekend. Now I only have 1.5 gallons left o_O

Yep, has been going on for a couple months now. Rural king did get some rotella in stock the other day. I'll check again this afternoon.

Have been buying Rotella T6 at WallyWorld for years, usually at $5 PER GALLON less than pink parts house... BUT as mentioned, slim pickins for a few months
However, my local NAPA jobber has plenty of others (sNAPA labelled, DELO, etc.) in stock... for $5 per gallon MORE than last year šŸ¤¬

Crap, I just had to check since the truck is coming due

1644338926553.png

Should have hoarded some of this also!

I haven't had any problems getting Amsoil. Then again, I have pre-emissions trucks, don't change my oil at normal intervals, and send in oil anaylsis samples every so often.

Then why canā€™t I find T4??
I just searched, looks like walmart has it for $13.xx but have to order it. I haven't seen it local anywhere. I need to find some more to replace what i just used to service the tractors.

Edit: NVM i just went to order some and it won't let you add it to your cart.

I never knew so many people used Rotella. Both of my diesel trucks had a super annoying valve train tick when using it. One Duramax, one Cummins. No clue why.

I read the reason you can't find it was because of some issue with getting supplies to make the plastic jugs. How true that is...I don't know. Seems like plenty of other stuff is being produced that uses plastic.

Not sure why so many people are hardcore brand loyal to specific oils though. Although, to be fair, Rotella is pretty much the first thing that comes to mind when you think of "15w40 diesel oil" and it used to be really cheap.

I never knew so many people used Rotella. Both of my diesel trucks had a super annoying valve train tick when using it. One Duramax, one Cummins. No clue why.

We started with it on tractors bc it was cheap and i know a local business that runs it every diesel work truck. They all made it to 400-600k. Retired them running/driving with Changing the oil every 20-30k miiles lol. Not sure it is the best, but cant be bad.

Last edited:
Rotella has been hard to find around here too.A friend of mine broke down and just bought a drum of it.Its about impossible to buy conventional oil these days.

I got a snapchat from my cousin's husband. They went to their local WalMart and they had apparently just gotten a shipment in. He bought all 48 gallons they had gotten. He's a farmer though...so that's only enough for a few pieces of equipment.

@83oldyoda4x4 it's definitely not bad oil. I really think they staked their name by just always being available literally anywhere you look, being a good product, and generally being the cheapest aside from something like SuperTech or whatever house brand is at a particular store. Most of those house brand oils are relabeled name brands anyway.

I'd probably be picky if I had a Ford 7.3 or 6.0 with oil fired injectors. They can be picky about oil and are pretty hard on it, as far as shearing is concerned. Except for the 6.0 @rockcity had. Apparently it gave zero Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo Sierra!

I ran around several months ago and bought all the t6 I could find. I also bought oil and fuel filters because I'll eventually use them and I figured those would be in short supply too. Turns out that part was right. It took 4 months to get the racor filters from xtreme diesel. I'm debating on tires right now. Don't really need them but thinking I won't be able to find/afford them when I do. :confused:

Sounds like oil is the new toiler paper and paper towels.

I ran around several months ago and bought all the t6 I could find. I also bought oil and fuel filters because I'll eventually use them and I figured those would be in short supply too. Turns out that part was right. It took 4 months to get the racor filters from xtreme diesel. I'm debating on tires right now. Don't really need them but thinking I won't be able to find/afford them when I do. :confused:
Just today I bought a set of Maxxis trailer tires for one of my trailers.The very same tire I bought a year ago for another trailer and they were $15/tire higher than last year.

I got a snapchat from my cousin's husband. They went to their local WalMart and they had apparently just gotten a shipment in. He bought all 48 gallons they had gotten. He's a farmer though...so that's only enough for a few pieces of equipment.

@83oldyoda4x4 it's definitely not bad oil. I really think they staked their name by just always being available literally anywhere you look, being a good product, and generally being the cheapest aside from something like SuperTech or whatever house brand is at a particular store. Most of those house brand oils are relabeled name brands anyway.

I'd probably be picky if I had a Ford 7.3 or 6.0 with oil fired injectors. They can be picky about oil and are pretty hard on it, as far as shearing is concerned. Except for the 6.0 @rockcity had. Apparently it gave zero Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo Sierra!
I have run Rotella in all 3 of the 7.3's I've had and never had an injector problem.My 6.0 gets Delvac.

Back