Diesel Plug In Temp

TARider

I picked up my first diesel a couple months back (mini duramax 3.0) and am wondering with winter getting close what temperature do folks start plugging them in at night?
Thanks

Like ^ said, I've only plugged mine in if I wanted it to be warm when I cranked it up in the morning. Any diesel made in the past 10-20 years will have no problem starting in any temps you'll see in North Carolina.

X4. Plug it in for that instant heat out the vents. Oh, and w/ the heated seats and steering wheel it makes life nice. Nothing NC has to offer for cold weather will make it hard start unless something else is an issue.

Echoing what the others said. If you want heat prior to 20 minutes of driving, plug it in.
I've started mine in 2* temps before without issue. But the lack of heat sucks

I want to be one of the cool kids and agree with everyone else lol. My 93 and 15 Cummins (Cumminses? Cummins's?) have never not started in NC weather, but it has been a long cold ride to work when I forget to plug them in.

Duane

Nothing like running late, and waiting on the Biotch to heat up enough to defrost the windows. lol
I've heard of people who park their vehicles in their garage, which prevents such things. I am not one of those people. :D

X4. Plug it in for that instant heat out the vents. Oh, and w/ the heated seats and steering wheel it makes life nice.
I could take or leave heated seats, but the heated steering wheel in my newer truck sure is nice. The Ram and Ford both have remote start and heated seats, but there's nothing like that first mile out of the driveway when your hands are feeling the warmth ooze IN from the heated steering wheel instead of OUT to the 40 degree air in the truck. I would also like to take this opportunity to point out that I'm getting soft in my old age. :(

The exhaust pressure valve on my first crew cab took forever to open in cold temps when not plugged in.I keep my work truck plugged in when the temps get down in the thirtys.Not cause it wont but cause the oil cooler (7.3 powerstroke) leaks like crazy until up to temp. My good truck has never been plugged since I've had it.Started just fine in single digit PA temps.

I just remote start mine. It turns on the heated seats/steering wheel/mirror defrost/ and makes it a perfect 72 degrees inside.
2019 Duramax

I remote start mine too but unless it's plugged in it damn sure isn't 72 when I get in. The seats and steering wheel are toasty though lol.

Duane

I thought about putting remote start on mine but that would mean I would have to adjust the parking brake that I've been neglecting to do for 2 years now.

Back