Discount Tire stores

kaiser715

Doing hard time
Anybody deal with Discount Tire stores around the area, also at discounttire.com)??

My FIL bought tires there recently, was happy, and I normally deal with tire shops local to me, but they are almost two hundred bucks cheaper on my truck tires. (Michelin LTX M+S).

Any experience good/bad?

2nd question...how about the $107 (total) for the road hazard. Never had it before, never needed it...(yet). Do folks usually go with that, or is it just extra profit for them??

Price match it local. Save yourself some time/hassle and support the local vendors.

I just bought a set of car tires from Discount Tire. They are GREAT.

Biggest thing for me was unlimited balance and rotate. Out of balance tires drive me insane so whenever I start feeling it, I just take em in. Heck, if I'm about to go on a long trip I'll take the car in. All free.

Just make sure that you always get an appointment and be there on time! Otherwise you'll sit for 2 hours because everyone else will be in the way.

Really, I don't see any reason to buy tires from anywhere else. Sure, I probably pay a little more up front than other options but the ability to have my tires and balanced when needed outweighs that by A LOT.

Forget them! Get a small local tire shop to price match. Yes, they won't make as much, but they will always price match to get your business.

As for the free balance... most places will rebalance for free if you bought them there.

As for free rotation... this is a DIY type site. If you take your car in for tire rotation maybe you should find another hobby, unless it's the wifes.

one thing I like about discount tire, they will fix flats for free even if you didnt buy your tires from them. of course they hope you will come to them for tires next time. I would but thy local one by me will not even try to balance 35's or 37's :shaking:

I've bought several sets of tires over the years from Tire Rack.

2nd question...how about the $107 (total) for the road hazard. Never had it before, never needed it...(yet). Do folks usually go with that, or is it just extra profit for them??

I take that back. I remembered that when I bought this set 3 years ago, I got them on I think a Thursday. That Saturday, coming over the Ocean Isle bridge, I hit a chunk of angle iron in the roadway and cut a sidewall.

I figured I could get the local tire place where I bought them to cut a deal, not even cost, just a few bucks to take the sting out... I paid the same for that tire that I did the others 3 days earlier, including paying mount and balance. (haven't been back in that shop again, either....bought at least 6 sets of tires since then, too, for other vehicles).

I bought my last set of tires from BJ's. They had the brand & size I wanted in stock (everyone else said they were back-ordered) and they were cheaper than the price Discount Tire's website. On the other hand... BJ's customer service was AWFUL, and I had to go back a few days later cause they screwed up my alignment. Long story short... cheaper isn't always better.

Specifically concerning Discount Tire... when I first bought my Tacoma it came with some aftermarket MB wheels (a Discount Tire brand). When I went to rotate my tires I realized the dealership never gave me a lug key. Stopped by Discount Tire and they gave me one for free, no questions asked.

IF I could find a local shop where I now live I would buy local. Holt Tire here in Ramseur didnt even balance a pair I had mounted last week. Said it took too much weight and he wouldnt do it.
but still charged my $25 just to mount. Sucks to have to drive back to HKY to get shit done right.

I've bought from them before. Never had to use the road hazard... actually, not sure I've ever bought the road hazard. But they've fixed a bunch of flats for free. They've always been great. The Exploder will be due for a set of tires shortly. I don't plan on shopping it around... unless maybe Slade can beat them. ;)

Oh, and fawks yes on free tire rotations. I've got better things to do with my Saturday afternoons.

The thing I like about Discount Tire is they way they will come down in price so easily.

My wife's sister was in town and she exploded a rear tire. I noticed all were worn slam out so I called my bro-in-law and told him what was up and said I'd take it in to get replaced if he wanted. I went down to DT and the price for the tires came out to $1100 and some change. I mentioned that the tires were for my sis-in-law who's husband is down at Ft. Benning and he dropped the price to $850 just like that since it was for a serviceman's car.

Two weeks later I needed tires for my truck. Same thing, tires were like $990 or something. Guy remembered me and I jokingly asked "you gonna give me a good discount" and he told me yep, since I buy all my tires there. Gave them to me for like $825 out the door. Last week I took my wife's truck in for tires and he remembered me again. They didn't have the tires I wanted in stock, so he split the difference on a better set of tires and gave me the no sales tax promo they were offering on top of it. Saved over $100 again.

I've never had luck like that with a local tire place, sorry to say it.

But I did buy my son a model rocket kit today at a local hobby shop, so I'm not totally evil.

What local hobby shop Blaze?They closed Hobby masters,I've had to go to Apex Lately for the RC stuff!!

The thing I like about Discount Tire is they way they will come down in price so easily.

My wife's sister was in town and she exploded a rear tire. I noticed all were worn slam out so I called my bro-in-law and told him what was up and said I'd take it in to get replaced if he wanted. I went down to DT and the price for the tires came out to $1100 and some change. I mentioned that the tires were for my sis-in-law who's husband is down at Ft. Benning and he dropped the price to $850 just like that since it was for a serviceman's car.

Two weeks later I needed tires for my truck. Same thing, tires were like $990 or something. Guy remembered me and I jokingly asked "you gonna give me a good discount" and he told me yep, since I buy all my tires there. Gave them to me for like $825 out the door. Last week I took my wife's truck in for tires and he remembered me again. They didn't have the tires I wanted in stock, so he split the difference on a better set of tires and gave me the no sales tax promo they were offering on top of it. Saved over $100 again.

I've never had luck like that with a local tire place, sorry to say it.

But I did buy my son a model rocket kit today at a local hobby shop, so I'm not totally evil.
sounds like they are way over priced to start with. they give you a very high price and come down so it looks like you are saving a lot of money. What size tires did it cost a 1100 for? Just curious.

i would guarantee i can beat a chain tire store on michelins... now for you its not worth coming to hky but surely there is somebody local that can do the same.

just checked tire rack on 265/70/17 michelin ltx 2... they are $990 shipped to my door plus you gotta pay someone to put them on. i would sell the same tire in my store for $860 installed plus tax.

I'm kinda split on this, I am a big fan of local everything, food, beer, women, stores, and services. Corporately we use a stand alone mom and pop tire shop here in Raleigh. They kick ass every day and the service is second to none. My personal tires on my jeep I got from Discount, they were the cheapest, had in stock, price matched some ebay retailer. My guy said he couldn't get close to their price and would be a week or two for teh tires.

I travel about 55,000 miles a year in my jeep on 35's (daily work vehicle), I like the reassurance that a chain such as discount is in most of the cities I travel to around the carolinas. If their is an issue I can get it fixed and not limp home to my local guy.

Another view is the shop techs and store guys are locals, they all live in the town, so it is kinda supporting locals.

just checked tire rack on 265/70/17 michelin ltx 2... they are $990 shipped to my door plus you gotta pay someone to put them on. i would sell the same tire in my store for $860 installed plus tax.
I agree; I think they are just not calling the right stores. I consistently beat chain store prices (including discount tire). As far as fixing flats; you save enough money to get the tire fixed if you actually have too. Look at the odds.

Back