DIY Chess piece challenge!

/dev/yj

Ralph Graw
So, I've got one of those old granite chess sets - you know, the one that the pieces all eventually break, and started looking around for a replacement set of just pieces. Well, there are some cool ones, but the makers are very proud of their craft and want $200-300 for them. I'll pass.

While looking tho, I came across this set. They want $77 for a bunch of bolts/nuts!

1609691816347.png

I can quickly see improvements, like the pawns need to be less top heavy, etc.

So - here's the challenge - I know we've got more creative folks here that can do better!

Let's see your ideas for chess pieces - bolts, nuts, or other creative DIY recycling or even building!

Somebody with a cnc mill could make some pretty cool pieces.
You may be on to something there - here's one set with board, that the pieces stick into slots. Cool, but not useful for existing boards. Needs a base of some sort. They want $250.

1609731856947.png

People 3d print sets all the time.
Hm some color changing filament that reacts to you holding the pieces could be cool. I could definitely make some...

People 3d print sets all the time.
Hm some color changing filament that reacts to you holding the pieces could be cool. I could definitely make some...
I could contribute towards the cost of some filament. Kinda like the idea of a classic style, but the thin flat ones look cool too.

I could contribute towards the cost of some filament. Kinda like the idea of a classic style, but the thin flat ones look cool too.
all I need is 3d models to work off of. There are probably a hundred available already.
some good examples

all I need is 3d models to work off of. There are probably a hundred available already.
some good examples
You ain't kidding. Pretty obvious 3D project when you think about it, but wow the crazy designs. On that site, the spiral looks interesting, although the queen seems a little short.

Which got me to realize the other thing I hadn't thought of is the size of the pieces - not all boards use the same size square. Mine are 1 5/8" and from what I've read the base should occupy 78% of the square. My interpretation from another site is that diameter is between 1.17" and 1.27" and height between 2.35" and 3.23". If you want to really get into the weeds... The best size for board and pieces - Chess Forums I never thought I'd dive that deep...

Not sure if the model files are printer specific, but this one is cool - PrusaPrinters

This is a good looking version of the classic - Mito3D || Print details of
I think this is the same design - board-games Classic Chess Set Pieces 3D Printable

This is by far the neatest thing I've seen, but likely waaaaay to complex! Nesting chess pieces that create the illusion of ‘consuming’ defeated players! | Yanko Design

You ain't kidding. Pretty obvious 3D project when you think about it, but wow the crazy designs. On that site, the spiral looks interesting, although the queen seems a little short.

Which got me to realize the other thing I hadn't thought of is the size of the pieces - not all boards use the same size square. Mine are 1 5/8" and from what I've read the base should occupy 78% of the square. My interpretation from another site is that diameter is between 1.17" and 1.27" and height between 2.35" and 3.23". If you want to really get into the weeds... The best size for board and pieces - Chess Forums I never thought I'd dive that deep...

Not sure if the model files are printer specific, but this one is cool - PrusaPrinters

This is a good looking version of the classic - Mito3D || Print details of
I think this is the same design - board-games Classic Chess Set Pieces 3D Printable

This is by far the neatest thing I've seen, but likely waaaaay to complex! Nesting chess pieces that create the illusion of ‘consuming’ defeated players! | Yanko Design
These model files are all STLs, which is just a universal mesh object. So it's completely independent of the printer.
From there you'd use a slicer, which is the tool that converts itfrom the model to g-code, which is the actual machine-specific instructions (just like for CNC etc).
So resizing is actually quite simple, you can do that either in a real CAD package or directly in the slicer prior to slicing. So like that queen thats too short.. no problem, just stretch her.
It gets a lot mroe complicated if you want to actually change or edit the design b/c STL's are an entire solid object

That Yanko Design thing is super cool. 3d printing metal is an amazing thing.
I don't quite understand that site. I can't tell if thats something that's atcually available to buy, or just something they did as a showcase design, or what.

EDIT - looks like its on its first run, can pre-order through Indigogo now here

I got very interested back in the early days of 3d printing but haven't kept up other than tidbit here and there. Metal, wood, etc. it's all crazy cool. Reminds me of the replicator on Star Trek back in the 60's.

Anything you want to give a try, I'll help with costs.

But hey gang, other ideas on DIY stuff? That nut/bolt thing speaks to a simpler time when folks made do. If I can get the time, may play around with that, see what I can tweak.

I've seen tab/slot designs made from cardboard/thin wood, which are neat. Random objects that just happen to remind you of a chess piece, etc.

But hey gang, other ideas on DIY stuff? That nut/bolt thing speaks to a simpler time when folks made do. If I can get the time, may play around with that, see what I can tweak.

I've seen tab/slot designs made from cardboard/thin wood, which are neat. Random objects that just happen to remind you of a chess piece, etc.

If you want to do hardware, multiple types of nuts can help with the piece characterization. Castellated nuts, slotted nuts, acorn/cap nuts, 12-point, T-nuts, wood inserts, etc.

Also no reason you can't change the bolt diameter based on the piece size hierarchy (I know fuck-all about chess).

I don't think the picture you posted of the nuts/bolts is particularly creative, and could be done a lot better.

If you want to do hardware, multiple types of nuts can help with the piece characterization. Castellated nuts, slotted nuts, acorn/cap nuts, 12-point, T-nuts, wood inserts, etc.

Also no reason you can't change the bolt diameter based on the piece size hierarchy (I know fuck-all about chess).

I don't think the picture you posted of the nuts/bolts is particularly creative, and could be done a lot better.
Get ready for a McMaster Carr sized rabbit hole

New rule - every piece you capture, ya gotta drink! May be counter productive in terms of winning, but will make the game more interesting! 🥴

With out googling, do you know what those bolts are actually for?

I see by this thread, I'm not the only one with a renewed interest in chess thanks to The Queens Gambit :lol:
Yes, without Googling at any rate - I read about them on the MC site. Absolutely amazing specialty gizmos that, while intended for one thing, are useful in a creative way in some other context. Can't tell you how many times I've wandered around HD or Lowes (better yet a local HW store) and having the sales person ask me what I'm looking for. My answer more often that not - I'll know when I see it. ;-)

Back