DIY Intake for 7.3l

Lurch830

messin' with sasquatch
In short, I want to put an intake on my F250.
I'm leaning to the DIY intake (NAPA#6637) since I've always been a DIYer and its much cheaper than the engineered kits, but I came across Riffraff Diesel's intake today (http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/m...oduct_Code=RDP6637&Category_Code=FOBS-IN-6637).

Is it worth it to have the pre-filter/cover/sock? I know there is an argument for the sock creating restriction, but I know that a dusted turbo is a bad turbo too.....any thoughts/suggestions?

Either way, I plan on drilling hole for the filter minder and either machining or plasma cutting the slot for the air temperature sensor.

Damn thats a pretty screamin deal. I remember the first time I bought the 6637 filter it was about $40+. Got the tube from the scrap pile at my buddy's muffler shop but if you have to buy everything that kit is a really good deal.

Been running the Tymar intake on my 02 for almost 2 years now, no sock, no IAT sensor or filter minder hooked up. No issues. That reminds me. Its time to change that filter.

The 6637 AF already has enough surface area to go way beyond the flow needs of the 7.3, the idea of it is that even after it gets dirty, it will still flow plenty for the 7.3. With that pre-filter, there is still more than enough flow for the needs of the 7.3. It will simply keep the bigger dust particles and bugs out, and it is much cheaper/easier to remove and clean the pre-filter than to replace the filter. The pre-filter doesn't help to filter the air anymore than the 6637, but it does make that filter last longer by keeping the bigger particles out.

I will say, when running open filters like that, I swear by the pre-filters, on my 01 2500HD I had a K&N intake with a pre-filter over it. I got caught in a tropical storm on my honeymoon on the OBX up in Carova, nearly 30" of rain fell that week. We decided to try to go to town one week and on the trail to get over the dunes to get back to the main road I had to cross some deep water that was over my 38" tires in a few places. It was still well below the air filter so it didn't get submerged, but water was still splashing up there. When I stopped water was beaded up all over the pre-filter and there were puddles sitting in the tray below the filter. I removed the pre-filter and the filter under it was bone dry.

Sounds like that sock is worth it...guess I'll be ordering it soon

While you are at it, run the crank case vent hose out to the back of the truck, that will keep excess oil out of your intercooler which (can) cause boots to blow off. I had the 6637 filter on my 99 f250, it seemed to cause turbo surge (at least thats what i was told caused the surging), but that said, i probably ran the same filter for 25k miles, when i removed it and sold the truck, the intake had NO dust inside it.

Tacoma,
I've been thinking about the CCV mod, but not sure if I'd like the smell or wasps of smoke.
I'm thinking about getting an air/oil separator and plumbing it inline with the stock set-up so everything is stock-ish, but the oil is removed and keeps the intercooler/turbo/boots oil free

I have been wanting to do this on my rig and get distracted. Looking into just purchasing the filter alone w a little bit of a deal was pricey. This kit gives it all plus the pre filter... it seams very reasonable especially since i need the bent pipe for my 97. This will probabably be in the mail soon.

check this out to
i found this ( how to make a box)
for the 6637 kit

Attachments

• Back Layout[1] f350 air box.pdf
    21 KB · Views: 917
  • Bottom Layout[1] f350 air box.pdf
    31.7 KB · Views: 547
  • Side Layout[1] f350 ari box.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 570
I have been wanting to do this on my rig and get distracted. Looking into just purchasing the filter alone w a little bit of a deal was pricey. This kit gives it all plus the pre filter... it seams very reasonable especially since i need the bent pipe for my 97. This will probabably be in the mail soon.
Glad I could help somebody out...

check this out to
i found this ( how to make a box)
for the 6637 kit
Thanks, I'm sure somebody is looking for this. Is it for the 7.3 Super Duty (99-03) or OBS (94-97)?
I'm just going to let the filter rest on the fender or make a simple mounting bracket for it.
I think the heat soak argument is valid, but the box would help until the engine bay gets to temp.

I was wondering about he box as well. My plan has always been to lay it out on the fender and use a small bracket to hold it up to allow air flow. Seems to work well for others.

^this......thats how ive been running mine fore years. I also use a piece of 3"diameter electrical conduit insteD of exhaust pipe. And all you have to do with the iat sensor is tuck it in your fender. This thread reminds me i was supposed to do a build threD on this a looonnng time ago in the powerstroke thread. Oops

^this......thats how ive been running mine fore years. I also use a piece of 3"diameter electrical conduit insteD of exhaust pipe. And all you have to do with the iat sensor is tuck it in your fender. This thread reminds me i was supposed to do a build threD on this a looonnng time ago in the powerstroke thread. Oops

hahah! Is the bend important in the exhaust pipe/or conduit? Thats why the RiffRaff kit seems appealing because I don't want a conduit fitting restricting flow. I understand why it may be needed, to clear that big as filter over the fender. It seems like it may fit without it. I already don't have an air box. My dd is not the type of thing I want to waste my time tinkering on; take it off and bolt it on.

I will attempt to remember to take pictures of mine when i get home....the conduit i have been using is straight.....i have also done a superduty this way and still retained his airbox, just with some air restrictions cut out of it. The small amount of restriction from the conduit vs exhaust pipe is made up in the fact that the conduit doesnt get hot like the metal would....the cooler the air, the denser the air, which is more power to be made and lower overall temps

I will attempt to remember to take pictures of mine when i get home....the conduit i have been using is straight.....i have also done a superduty this way and still retained his airbox, just with some air restrictions cut out of it. The small amount of restriction from the conduit vs exhaust pipe is made up in the fact that the conduit doesnt get hot like the metal would....the cooler the air, the denser the air, which is more power to be made and lower overall temps
Just curious, how does the plastic not get as hot as the metal? The inside diameter may not get as hot, but I think that difference would be negligible with the intercooler taken into consideration.
I would think the metal would get hot quicker because its thinner and more thermally conductive, but the conduit is still going to get hot. The heat source (motor) is still going to heat up the engine bay and everything under the hood will be heat soaked eventually.

Glad I could help somebody out...

Thanks, I'm sure somebody is looking for this. Is it for the 7.3 Super Duty (99-03) or OBS (94-97)?
I'm just going to let the filter rest on the fender or make a simple mounting bracket for it.
I think the heat soak argument is valid, but the box would help until the engine bay gets to temp.

PSD 99.5-03

I have an obs....no intercooler....forgot to take pics...ill do it tomorrow am

...and. Lurch i have no answer to your question other than the standard theory i mentioned earlier lol

Digging it up. I'm replacing the k and n filter in the stock housing on my 95 obs. I already have the napa 6637 and a straight 6" section of 4 inch exhaust pipe. does anyone's 6637 get wet when it rains? Also, will zip tying the AIT Sensor somewhere in the engine bay affect my idle or run? truck is stock 7.3.

Digging it up. I'm replacing the k and n filter in the stock housing on my 95 obs. I already have the napa 6637 and a straight 6" section of 4 inch exhaust pipe. does anyone's 6637 get wet when it rains? Also, will zip tying the AIT Sensor somewhere in the engine bay affect my idle or run? truck is stock 7.3.

On the 97 that I recently sold , I zip tied the IAT to the one of the the brackets near the master cylinder / fuse box , ran it for almost 5 years with no problem or check engine light . The only time my 6637 got wet was when I was washing the truck or during a bad thunderstorm , didn't cause any negative effects . I later switched to a K&N , but I liked the paper filter more because it dampened most of the turbo whistle

I had a 99PSD I used the 6637 and I piece of the 4" exhaust pipe that was left over from the install. I just took the top of the stock air box off and let the 6637 lay in the bottom section of the stock box, worked great!! did have some surge after that and put in a wicked wheel and all was fine! the 6637 is loud though . ....

I might consider chopping up my stock air box to make a floor for the filter to rest on vs the matting in the fender. That's assuming I have room. I returned the napa filter, and ordered the water resistant Donaldson version of the 6637 and an eBay prefilter.

Back