Do I need a diesel?

Like I said above, a 15 year old f150 has bigger brakes than a 16 year old f350... And either is better than an excursion, which are notorious for brake problems.

o_O

Also, does the excursion not share 90+% of its brake components with the superduty trucks?

o_O

Also, does the excursion not share 90+% of its brake components with the superduty trucks?

You'd think... But there's something odd about them. Seems like everybody that buys one has problems with warping rotors and general poor performance...

Does it have anything to do with the Excursion being heavier?

Possibly the proportioning of the braking system? Just throwing ideas out.

Last edited:
I towed with my V10 4x4 Excursion for 3 years without any brake issues, ever. I used it for towing my heavy pig of an MJ (5000 pounds) as well as my 93 Mustang (2700 pounds) on my 2600 pound trailer. I think people need to learn how to drive/ brake while towing.
Now fuel mileage, that's another story.

I towed with my V10 4x4 Excursion for 3 years without any brake issues, ever. I used it for towing my heavy pig of an MJ (5000 pounds) as well as my 93 Mustang (2700 pounds) on my 2600 pound trailer. I think people need to learn how to drive/ brake while towing.
Now fuel mileage, that's another story.

You know I started to post here last night the same thing but just didnt want to de-rail it.
Christmas eve we went and visited family and got beside a guy pulling a 35ish ft 5'er camper on the way home on 321. As we came off the free way portion into Gastonia where you hit traffic lights this guy was jack rabbit pulling away from me at every light and braking a good 5-8 seconds after me at every light.

My son said, "Dad I think he wants you to know his Duramax is fast...I laughed and replied yep, but he is wearing it out"

Too many folks tow just like they drive a small car.
I think thats the major problem with the Excursions. Most of the folks I know who tow with one aren't used to towing to begin with.
But Jody, Snappy and Marc Z have none ever had brake problems with theirs that I know of.

But Jody, Snappy and Marc Z have none ever had brake problems with theirs that I know of.

I thought Zaboth did the whole slotted/drilled/Hawk/whatever thing on his.

Hmm maybe?

Snappy has had warped rotors on his

Snappy has had warped rotors on his

Yeap, trailer brakes went out and stoping and extra 8,000 lbs will do that! we got them way hot coming down the "street race" hill at windrock. I actually turned them and kept on digging for another 10k miles till the pads wore out and replaced both at that time....

I went through this same struggle a month ago. The cost, upkeep and repairs on the diesel was just something I could not justify. I have 2 customers who own diesel only repair shops, they both told me that unless you haul very heavy every day, get a gas truck. I bought a great V10 Superduty Crew Cab 4x4 and I am very happy with it. The cost of a set of injectors in a diesel will put a new engine in a gasser.

This truck starts easily, warms up quickly, is very quiet and has plenty of power.

Yes, I am showing it off a little. :)

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_IMG_20131218_00021.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_IMG_20131218_00019.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_IMG_20131218_00022.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_IMG_20131218_00025.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_IMG_20131218_00027.jpg

For what I paid for my 2000 V-10 super duty, lariat, with 70k on it, good shape, few small dings, it's a no brainer. Had lots of friends who jumped on the diesel band wagon, watched them all dump just as much money as I paid for my truck, INTO each of theirs. I always thought the V-10s were garbage(only really knew of the dodges, never paid attention to the fords). Then a friend of mine bought a 2-valve, V-10 sexcursion, thought he was a dumbass. Until we had 4 of us, cabin PACKED full, his truck in tow, a set if axles on the trailer, from Pittsburgh to Harlan. All through the mountains of WV, it never missed a beat. Now we didn't set any land speed records, but it's a gas motor and at a 6.8, a 454 is bigger. Another seller was Swanson hydraulics out of WV, they had a 2-valve'd V-10 F-450 cab and chassis truck, huge flatbed, always loaded to the hilt with cylinder and pumps when they picked up/dropped off rebuilds for my previous job. Showed up one day with a brand new '11, another v-10 truck, asked what happened to the old pig, said it hit 500k, time for a new truck! Never burned oil, no plug issues, tranny serviced every 100k, rear was rebuilt twice, normal maintenance.

The price difference is ridiculous between v-10s and 7.3s, granted, the 7.3 is a mule. But a 70k mile, loaded super duty, was $8k cheaper than a beat to hell, cloth interior'd 7.3 work truck, with 190k. Other than the motor, the rest of the trucks are THE EXACT SAME.

I like having the 3.73s in mine, until I hook a trailer up, then I wish it had 4.10s or even 4.30s. It gets shit mileage, it rides like a truck, handles a trailer with confidence, it's low maintenance(other than the 2-valves spitting spark plugs, which mine did last week), best built truck for the money, hands down. Tried and true platform, simplicity rules for reliability and serviceability. Oh ya, oil changes, $30, not $100 for a diesel. Only gripe is I wish I could've found a 4 door short bed, the ex cab is a pain at times, but the super fast sale of my old Toyota kind of put a rush to my hunt, but I got lucky.

I have some buddies down in Raleigh who can regear that truck for you. Let me know if you want their contact info. :D

Haha got a comedian on our hands! Now about that contact information....

Ummmm, haha, if that's a V-10, you need to cough up the secret. I'm assuming its a 7.3 though.

Shawn has a 6 speed early 3rd Gen Cummins H.O. 2003- mid 2004 is the Holy Grail for power vs. performance vs. fuel mileage.
Must be something wrong with it however. According to the interwebz, it should get 25+ while towing 20k pounds uphill to Harlan.

Shawn has a 6 speed early 3rd Gen Cummins H.O. 2003- mid 2004 is the Holy Grail for power vs. performance.
Must be something wrong with it however. According to the interwebz, it should get 25+ while towing 20k pounds uphill to Harlan.

If only it didnt come in that shitty box.

It's amazing what you can do with a simple tire change!

It's amazing what you can do with a simple tire change!

Nope... Speedo is accurate. I sat the cruise on "Grandpa" and left it there for five hours straight.

In all fairness, that's probably the best mpg it has ever gotten. 17 to 19 is typical for empty.

On paper, I get between 18-20 with my 7.3 6spd, but it is only 2wd (no fancy computer). I will admit that I don't have the power that a lot of folks have, but I am 100% stock. I hope by keeping it this way I will get many many miles of trouble free driving.

A
Shawn has a 6 speed early 3rd Gen Cummins H.O. 2003- mid 2004 is the Holy Grail for power vs. performance vs. fuel mileage.

Ahhhh, thought it was a newer Ford overhead display. The diesel world comes in two ways, the bone stock and the quest for more power. With just a programmer, easy 100hp, then a little more, little more, then clutch, injectors, lift pump.......then you're in debt and have to sell the truck to pay it off, since non of which is cheap.

And ponykilr, words can't express my jealousy haha that's exactly what I was hunting for! Crew, short box, lariat, v-10. Wanna trade?!?! I'll fix my plugs first!! Haha

I looked and waffled and drove many miles before this truck came home with me. Gonna keep it LOL

I had almost given up, the diesels were too much money with very high miles and poor cosmetic shape and V10s were almost non-existent.
I looked at OBS trucks and even a Dodge or two :eek:ops:
I worked for GM most of my life, Master Tech, don't want anything they have.

This one appeared on CL on a Saturday morning (200 miles away) and was in my driveway that night. It's a 2000 Lariat, had a new trans and new tires. My wife has 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition that has been flawless, I hope this one is. It has 4.30s, don't be hatin' on your 3.73s (grass is always greener)

Back