dodge 3500 value?

4.0 fury

the truck needs 6 tires, rear brakes, the roof needs to sanded and painted along with the two front fenders...
interior has stains, dirt, the power window control mount is broke...dents, dings....its definitely been used as a work truck,
leaking a little oil
123k, auto, turbo diesel, 5th wheel, 4wd....

i drove it down the road...power was good
pulled a little to the right under breaking, started right up, idled fine

the guy wants 10,300 for it...
what do you guys think?

Ive seen them on craigslist for around 8, in what sounds like better shape. Not knowing many important details, such as the year, make it hard to say for sure. 10300 sounds too much.

Duane

Dodge has produced a 3500 for 14 years now, a year would be helpful... :flipoff2:

:edit: Also, from what I've seen when searching for mine...duallys tend to go for less than the srw 2500's. If that's a 12v, he's probably asking too much.

Hold out for a truck that's had maintenance.. that mileage is where damn near everything except the engine needs to be replaced..

unit bearings, track bar, tie rod ends, shocks, transmission, etc, etc..

would something with around 175-200k be better?
im looking to spend around 9-10 grand 2500/3500 12 valve prefer manual but auto would be fine, 4wd and it has to be diesel

I'm buying a 3500 on Friday for a near that and in much better shape. As long as everything checks out that is.

good luck man.

Rich- would you mind pm'ing me some of the things to look for 3500 specific?

anybody live in Boone thats wants to go look at the truck, thats knowledgeable about the 3500's and knows what to look for..
mainly convince me that it truely is a POS and not worth buying...
shoot me a PM and ill let you know where its sitting

rockmafia-thanks for the link to the thread

Rich- would you mind pm'ing me some of the things to look for 3500 specific?

Probably best for everyone if it's posted here.. Though feel free to PM if you have anything you don't want to share...

trac bar / (panhard) They wear out quickly on the Chrysler 4wd's, but can be a bargaining point.
Auto trans - stomp it at 55 or so, so it stays in overdrive. if you feel shuddering, the torque converter is on its way out.
The receiver hitches did have a tendency to crack where they bolt to the frame.. If the guy says he only towed a bass boat, look for the cracks to call BS, and walk.
The transmission does record codes into the OBDII system, if you have access to a code reader, you can pull 'em.
Bring a 3/8" & 1/2" breaker bar so you can look at the diff fluid.
Make sure the batteries match.

Honestly, on the 12v's, there isn't much to look at you wouldn't check on any vehicle.. (ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes, etc..) DO ask about the "killer dowel pin".
Look for a HUGE oil leak up front, starting about 1/2 way down the front of the engine... usually an indicator of KDP damage, which can be $$.

You could bring a small gatorade bottle and drain some fuel from the filter housing.. if you see any water, you can bet he hasn't been that good with the maintenance.

Really, just 'feel' the truck.. it'll talk to you if it's been neglected. Good maintenance will make or break these trucks.

well ive driven already...
under hard brakeing it pulled to the right..the guy said the tires and and rear brakes didnt pass inspection...

i got it up to around 65 on 421 going out of town and did notice some vibration...but all the tires were bald

as for the oil leak, it was their...after i drove it, oil was definitely coming out the front of the engine

when i asked about the 4 wheel drive he said "i dont know if you ever owned a dodge...but they occasionally pop out of gear"

doesnt look like i will be purchasing this one...if anybody wants to know where the truck is located..send me a PM

im not trying to trash the guys truck...i personally dont think its worth the asking price which is O.B.O...so by all means go look at it if you are in the market

Back