Dog Suggestions

NCJeepin

Ok.. I need some advise, ive asked everyone else, so i figured i'd ask my nc4x4 family too.....

So im recently single. living somewhere that i dont know anyone, have this big ass house and its just me in it.. so i figure i should get a dog... but i dont have much of a back yard....... But I kinda want a good boat/water dog too....

So here are my thoughts on dogs.. what do y'all suggest??

Black Lab
Choc Lab
Black Pug
Boston Terrier
Mini Winnie Dog
Mini Pincher
Bassett Hound (named Flash of course)

i mean a small dog would be cool but i don't know what kind of image a single guy with a little dog would produce, i'm not into man meat and really dont want to walk my dog and give the wrong impression

Keep in mind, i want a dog i can take anywhere with me, one that is smart and can be trained, one that can jump up in the jeep ok, and one that running around the house is ok... I know a small yard and a lab isnt very good, but i think i can walk and run him other places enough it'd be ok....

The labs and big dogs will be a lot of work and learning curve. My son and me have Pug and it's the best little dog that we could have gotten. He's about 4 years old now and can live in the house without issues.

i had a lab for 16 years and it was the best boat dog and riding dog... Ive had a boston for 11 years, great little dog too, and i had a pitt/lab mix for a few months until the X took him so im good and confused

Mini winnie dog? You mean a dachshund? These are very smart animals, but can sometimes be hard-headed and too smart for their own good.
Most that we've had seem to enjoy the water.
Still being a hound, you won't get the comments of having a "foo-foo" dog.
Jumping up in the Jeep depends on the height of your Jeep. Our dachsie, Molly, is a real jumper! She'll jump onto the back of our couch, a good 4 feet off the ground. She likes riding around too, she just has to either sit near you or be where she can look out the window because she gets car sick...

i think the boston terriors are absolutely awesome dogs so that's where my vote goes... :)

i had a min pin... very cool dogs BUT they are tempermental as hell. very territorial, which is cool... but everytime a strange girl would force me to bring her home my dog would want to eat her alive. not very suave....

if you had a yard for a big dog you'd probably be happier if you could throw a frisbee to your lab or whatever, but little dogs are cool too... in a not gay way, haha

Can't go wrong with a black lab. Once they're out of the puppy stage they're the most chill dogs around...and some of the smartest as well.
I can't stand yappy dogs with no balls...

get a Boxer. not too big and still a manly dog. besides that they are the most loyal dog I know. Good friend for the single man and when they are puppies they attract major trim.

Boxers have lots of energy... any big dog does, really. I'll add, too, that "puppy" doesn't mean the same thing for most bigger dogs. My lab mix finally started growing up when she got past 3!

Bostons are super smart and are good 'only' dogs. In my experience, they're not aggressive toward other dogs, just stand-offish.

I love labs, but they're work (IMHO), but I also think a dachshund is the smartest damn dog I've ever met.

What happened to your pit mix? I vote for an Italian Greyhound. We have a 4 year old that rules the nest. Killer dogs but they're more like little humans.

This is a tough one. Of course I am a little bias on the Chocolate labs. I have had several, super easy to train and seem to mellow a lot faster than the black ones. I don't have a thing against a man having a small dog at all. Since when does having one determine your sexual persuasion? That's just stupid. My dad had two different ones for almost 30 years. 14 years for one, 16 for the other. And both of them were hands down his best friend. Doesn't matter what type of dog you get, he or she will only be as good as you make them to be. You have to have the time to spend with them to make a good animal friend. It takes darn near as much time as it does if you were raising a kid. A puppy might not be the way to go. It could get very upsetting having to clean up after them until they can hold it for longer periods of time while you are away at work.
I would recommend getting an older dog from a shelter. Go to the shelter and spend some time with it. As much as you can to learn it's temperament and other good/bad habits. If you were up this way I would send you to where my daughter works. She works at a no kill shelter and knows all the dogs there. She is very good at knowing which like this or that and so on.

So, back to Our lil lady. She is a 107 lb Chocolate lab. Absolutely the best animal I have ever owned. She don't chew things, she has never made a mess in the house, and the grand kids can abuse her(they are both less than two yrs old) and she absorbs it all. Loves to ride, but, fat chicks can't jump, so the Honda, or either van she is fine in. Forget the CJ, way to high, and she will put her front paws on the tailgate of the truck and I have to lift the rear up. I would love to clone her!

One other thought. Which ever you get, have it fixed. A lot less headaches to deal with. The other thought there also is if you get a male, I recommend finding one that is not an Alpha male. that is if you get an adult dog.

Any way final decision is yours. Choose well.

We've had two dachshunds. They are tough little dogs, and the most stubborn I've seen. They were bred to think for themselves, so training is difficult. If you want to take your dog everywhere, look for another breed. They are daredevils and will jump without regard until they get older and end up hurting their back doing so.

My vote: Boarder collie
Jumping into the jeep wouldn't be a problem as my mutt can jump a 5' fence.

But if you go for a kennel dog I would go for the shiest dog there. Thats what I did and hands down the sweetest dog I could ask for. ZERO temperament problems as she will run from someone before they get to close
Just my .02

I'd opt boxer or lab for the bigger breed. I've had both and both were great. Chesapeak bay retreviers are nice also. For a smaller dog I tend to opt for a jack russell or either a boston buller terrier.

Okay, I can't help but throw in my two cents here. (btw, hi all my name is Chris...been reading the board for a while but I don't really post :) ) Anyway...unless you are really bent on having a specific breed, go for a mix. For one thing, mutts are less prone to health problems that face either of their donating breeds which in general means they will probably live longer. Another good reason to get a mix is that they are usually cheaper than buying a pure bread, and if you are just looking for a companion there are plenty out there. The best part though, is that instead of getting a dog that looks like everyone elses you get something that's unique a lot of the times. Oh and did I mention you are probably saving them from living in a kennel the rest of their life? :)

get a cat !

having been in your shoes in the past, i was single for a long time, traveled a lot, road trips, 4x4 stuff etc.. When i got the dog, it was like having a kid, HAVE to be home to feed/walk them. I couldn't leave work and head out or to a friends. They need constant care and attention, training etc.. If your married or w/ kids I think dogs are great its a group effort and your dog isn't much more of an issue.. your less likely to be doing last minute type stuff..

We have 2 cats. When we go on trips we leave out an extra litter box, extra food bowl, large water dish.. that covers us for 3-4 days np... If were going longer we set everything by the door and have a neighbor refill as needed.. (we have been considering the jug setups to do it a little at a time etc.) No daily dog walkings/boarding fees etc..

Cats are low maintenance... If you adopt an older cat from the shelter you get to pick from so many different kinds.. Most are fixed and box trained. THey just want some attention when your home and sleep most of the day anyway..

my .02

If you dont have kids, I would vote for a Chessie. If you have kids, get a lab, Chocolate lab to be specific.

Attachments

• pooch.jpg
    pooch.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 505
I vote shelter/rescue, but I just spent all day at petsmart with the SPCA.

Duane

Here is another vote for a Chessy, I've had great times with mine. Regardless of the dog you get, there is nothing better than a well trained dog of any breed.

I wont go anywhere without my Lab, he is 5 and one of the most mild mannered dogs I have ever owned. BTW my Lab needs a new bitch, he is AKC certified pure bred and he has major blue balls....

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v664_93JSpec_4Runner_4runner_Mickey.jpg

The Pit moved out with the ex

Dude I'm totally sorry to hear that. Have a :beer: on me. Good luck on your search. And honestly I would go with a pound puppy if you can. Those are some of the most loyal dogs you'll find.

We have 3 dogs and a cat. Got the cat and the tea cup yorkie in Japan. The yorkie only weighs 4 lbs. Girls love little dogs. We then got my dog and American Bull dog. He loves kids like there is no tomorrow. Kids jusmp on him and he has such good temperment. Weighs 110 lbs though. Requires very little attention. The last one is s Shi-pooh a Shi-tzu and mini poodle mix. He is the best one of all. Full of energy and just a very happy dog. Lives for attention, loves water, loves riding in the car and not real big. The bad part is he gets dread locks if we don't brush him a lot. he is very smart too. thats my take on my dogs but if you want a vote I love Labs too.

My vote: Boarder collie
Jumping into the jeep wouldn't be a problem as my mutt can jump a 5' fence.

My dog is half border collie/half chocolate lab (but she looks like a purebred black lab
acoloradok5.com_forums_images_smilies_dunno.gif
). She's smart as hell and the most loving dog I've ever seen. She's also a smaller dog, probably 30-35lbs.

I don't think you can go wrong with a lab either.

Well im pretty sure im going to get a lab.. Anyone know any breeders close to the beach?

Back