DOM Size for Cage and steering

Mac5005

Before I order something completely wrong, just wanted to see what you guys think about the steel i am pretty sure I'm going to use for my cage, and for my steering links.

Cage: 1.75 OD, .188 Wall

Steering links: 1.25 OD, .125 Wall, 1.0" ID for use of weld in threaded bung for 3/4" heims.

Anyone in the Rocky Mount Area need some while i'm ordering let me know. I will be getting it Delivered to Rocky Mount, 27803.

Scott

Cage: 1.75 OD, .188 Wall
his is overkill for most if not all of your cage. I use it in some parts of some cages that see alot of abuse, only because it does not dent as easy as .120 wall.

It has become quite expensive, as both of my regular suppliers have quit making it:shaking:. It is also VERY hard to bend without a hydro bender, and will break dies and bend pins with hydro.

I'd use (and do use) 1.5" .250 for the steering links..

I use .120 on the main pillars and fill the rest of the cage in with .095. .188 is way to thick and heavy, and harder to notch

Steering is a different story if your going to be bashing and dragging it across rocks and stuff. Factory tie rods are .095, i've used as thick as .380

Definitely 0.25" on the steering links. Mine is 0.25", already slightly bent and it spends the vast majority of its time sitting in the driveway.

You can cut a pice of pipe in half length ways and cap the bottom of your rock rails etc for extra protection against denting. That is what I did.

there's a really interesting thread on pirate right now about weight savings using different tube diameters and thicknesses. I would search it out and read up. Just like sha_______bang said you can use thinner tube for the internals and save weight.

If you have high steer I suggest .25 wall but if you're still hung low like me you better bring the beef. I bent a ram that was converted into a tie rod. 1.5" thick solid. I'm still running it but it's fubared.

Thanks for all the info guys, Ive been reading that thread on pirate already.

thanks esp to rockmafia, I was wondering what you use mostly.

so then I am thinking,

1.75" .120 cage main parts, front hoop, connection between front hoop and rock rails, X-member for doubler.
1.75" .095 for fill in pieces

1.5" .25" for steering links, Yes I am running a high steer, with tie rod behind the axle, and hydro assist.
- or -
1.75" .375" for steering, just need to check clearance with leafs, If I step up the extra Dia., but I believe it should clear.

thanks, Drkelly, I was thinking of doing so on the rock rails, so I can get away with running .120 for those, doubled on the botttom half, and for the crossmember, I think I can get away with .120 wall, b/c I'm going to runn a 3/16" flat belly skid under the entire crossmember so nothing ran rip off the tube x-member

Back