Drive shaft idea

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
I want to build a drive shaft that is more beefy, but the drive shaft shops only have .120 wall with the right inside diameter. My thought is to get a thicker wall tube and machine it down to the right inside diameter. Anyone have an idea of where to get some thick wall tube that I could do this with?

Any steel shop should be able to get it that deals with DOM tubing.

Try Ryerson Tull or EMJ in charlotte, I know they both deal in DOM

I know your rig doesn't see many street miles, but High Angle won't guarantee the balance of anything over .120 wall - Jesse sez they are just too heavy, for what it's worth.

I've been hearing of guys putting some anti-freeze/water inside the driveshaft before it's closed up for balancing though... makes sense to me!

So, what's the proper inside diameter? would structural pipe not work?

To be honest Rich, I am not sure. I will have to cut one apart and measure. When you say structural pipe, do you mean black pipe? or?

And yes you are right, I am not very worried about the balance. I still run a CV so that makes up for most imperfections

I got the idea at our shop when I saw some heavy wall tubing use to make different things, but no lengths long enough for what I want.

I was thinking more about stuff like sprinkler pipe, NOT black pipe.. basically, 1010 steel

I looked at one made of square tubing like for a trailor hitch. Guy said it worked great for off road use. had all the travel you need.

junkman said:
I looked at one made of square tubing like for a trailor hitch. Guy said it worked great for off road use. had all the travel you need.

LOL, well Both rich and I have those already. I am wanting it for the rear shaft. I have the square one in the front and it does good, so far no problems except it is ugly..... but then again it does match the rest of the Heep :lol:

Would this work? 1.75"x.120 inside of 2"x.120? Would the .005 of clearance be too much? I've seen where guys take 1.75" XJ shafts and sleeve it with 2"x.120.

After biting the bullet and getting a high angle .250 wall 1410 rear shaft, I just couldnt afford to buy another shaft. I made my front, its just a 1330 cv from a bronco shaft and I made the shaft from 1.75" x.120 and sleeved it with 2" x.120. Basically just what Kevin described. What I did was, got my length with the 1.75, welded the cv and the spline end then ground the welds down. Then drilled about 8 holes in the 2" and slid it over the 1.75 tube at the spline end, again welded both ends, and then plug welded the holes i drilled.

Ive wheeled the buggy 4 times now with that shaft, 3 times at the muddevils playground and once at URE. I use the skinny pedal pretty hard on 42"s and so far its held up great. Ive twisted the tube on 3 non-sleeved 2" x .120 shafts, once I sleeved it it has been working out great. just my .02.

Back