Driveline Mounts

NickMaul

Don’t flame me if this was posted recently. My driveline will be 4.0/AX15/NWF Eco Box/NP205. I have brown dog motor mounts and an IronmanFab ax15 mount. So those are pretty beefy. I bought a DIY4x np 205 case support that bolts up to the rear output housing on the 205. It uses a typical poly bushing. I was definitely planning on mounting that up right beneath the 205 case. It seems like the IronmanFab bushing allows the driveline to twist pretty freely as it is a typical poly bushing arranged in the same axis of the trans and tcase.

Does it seem like I should utilize that torque bushing mount that exists on the drivers side of the case? Trying my best to avoid cracking the bellhousing or the rear of the AX15. The 205 is so damn heavy.

TIA y’all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@NickMaul where you ever able to find any information on your driveline mounting? I would be interested to know. I would think that the mounting would need to be inline with the transmission mount so that they are not causing a axial (rotation) reaction force at the rear AX15 bolt flange. However, I don't have any personal experience with it. I wonder if the mounts also need to have the same, or close, mounting distance from the drivetrain center line to keep the moment about the mount the same.

Don’t flame me if this was posted recently. My driveline will be 4.0/AX15/NWF Eco Box/NP205. I have brown dog motor mounts and an IronmanFab ax15 mount. So those are pretty beefy. I bought a DIY4x np 205 case support that bolts up to the rear output housing on the 205. It uses a typical poly bushing. I was definitely planning on mounting that up right beneath the 205 case. It seems like the IronmanFab bushing allows the driveline to twist pretty freely as it is a typical poly bushing arranged in the same axis of the trans and tcase.

Does it seem like I should utilize that torque bushing mount that exists on the drivers side of the case? Trying my best to avoid cracking the bellhousing or the rear of the AX15. The 205 is so damn heavy.

TIA y’all

I used mine from day one. I assume you mean the three holes pictured. I also added the rear mount to mine. I do not utilize the aw4 mount. My mount is between the 204/205. I'll try and dig up pictures of what I did. No pictures except this. I can get some later today.

203-205crossmember 012.jpg

Last edited:
I used mine from day one. I assume you mean the three holes pictured. I also added the rear mount to mine. I do not utilize the aw4 mount. My mount is between the 204/205. I'll try and dig up pictures of what I did. No pictures except this. I can get some later today.

View attachment 331167

Yeah. I have a mount that can go between the ecobox and the 205 but I spent some serious coin on the AX15 mount and it looks damn near bomb proof. I was thinking a output housing mount at the 205 would be adequate. But that front output chunk of the 205 is so heavy I am afraid under torque it will just crack the AX15.

Yeah. I have a mount that can go between the ecobox and the 205 but I spent some serious coin on the AX15 mount and it looks damn near bomb proof. I was thinking a output housing mount at the 205 would be adequate. But that front output chunk of the 205 is so heavy I am afraid under torque it will just crack the AX15.

Here is what I did for the main mount...

203-205crossmember 001.jpg
203-205crossmember 002.jpg
203-205crossmember 003.jpg
203-205crossmember 016.jpg

I'll get some of the side mount in a bit. I used the same material bushings on all mounts. Was like that from 07 when I built it till I added the rear mount on the 205

Did find this of the original mount system. That was taken in 2017 when I added the rear mount. So my mount held up for 10 years with no issues...
IMG_8425.JPG

Here is another shot from when I added the rear mount...
IMG_8477.JPG

IMG_8482.JPG

IMG_8496.JPG

This was my solution for being able to remove the side mounts bolt.
IMG_8500.JPG

Here is another shot from when I added the rear mount...
View attachment 331174
View attachment 331175
View attachment 331176

This was my solution for being able to remove the side mounts bolt.
View attachment 331177

Dang. Thanks Glenn!

I am seeing a lot of feedback about not having multiple points of contact on the frame. And I get that frame twist can crack your drivetrain.

My biggest concern is really weight + torque at the front output of the 205. I think I am going to try out just the bushing at the 205 rear output for now. Take some go pro video while driving and see if I need to mount a little bushing like you have on yours coming off of the chunk above the front output.

@Curtis_H bought a bracket from somewhere to support the rear of his doubler. This may be redundant to Glenn’s info, and looks similar if a remember but can’t hurt to double the info. He can clarify when he sees this.

NP205 Transfer Case Support, with Billet Bearing Retainer, Version 4 (No Mount)

This is what I have.

From my understanding you need to keep your drive train mounts in a triangle. The motor mounts being 2 points of the triangle and your trans the third. You can add as many supports as you like on the trans and tcases but they all need to pivot as one. For example I have a mount on trans, between doubler, and on the back of the 205 output. But they all use the same bushings and the spacing between the frame rails is the same on all 3. So they all flex together as the third point of the triangle. All 3 mounts are mounted solid at the frame. I beat on my rig very hard and so far my th350 has survived.

edit: fixed link to show the exact one I had.

Back