dual radiators

OK, Ill bite on this.... what is the propper distance for the face of and electric fan to sit off the face of the core of a radiator ????

In theory, as far as possible. The farther way it sits, the better air flow distribution you get thru the core. Of course that is totally impractical. The more surface area of the core that the fan covers, the closer you can place it. If you have a small fan or a cooling package that is more rectangular, it will help more to move the fan away from the cooler(s). You should try to put your fan as far away as your space will let you. Proper shrouding is still crucial.

I've been emailing spal for years to make square fans so this isn't a problem anymore. Dumbasses just won't listen.

Could you not just go with a thicker core radiator instead of two? I can't imagine the packaging/mounting/plumbing of two radiators being fun.

One of these should do it:

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P1010054.jpg

In theory, as far as possible. The farther way it sits, the better air flow distribution you get thru the core. Of course that is totally impractical. The more surface area of the core that the fan covers, the closer you can place it. If you have a small fan or a cooling package that is more rectangular, it will help more to move the fan away from the cooler(s). You should try to put your fan as far away as your space will let you. Proper shrouding is still crucial.

Correct. The determining factor is the angle of the shroud face, so the distance will depend on fan size relative to radiator surface area. As you approach 90 degrees from the blade face you get larger and larger pockets of dead air at the top and bottom "pyramids" of the shroud "enclosure"

In other words it becomes easier for the air to flow through the radiator core than it is to flow up in the plenum. The math varies based on pushers and pullers, for example in the gen world we suck air across the engine and then blow the warmed air across the radiator cores. Totally changes the design but no one will use that in a front radiator application.

Proper shrouing is absolutely crucial, but the big problem here is surfce area. A large number of buggies are using a cut down and narrowed CJ hood. Couple that with the ever growing desire to keep hood line slow for improved visibility and you have a small area up front for a radiator. Now add to that less than ideal arrangement an engine that rejects 2-3x (yes that is right 2-3X) the heat to coolant of anything offered in either a CJ or a TJ and you have a recipe for fun. A hotter engine than any OEM designs, and a smaller opening....good luck

One of these should do it:
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P1010054.jpg

That an avrage sized radiator.....let me see if I can find a 78 liter package ;)

I had a 72 Blazer with a screaming small block, a factory 3 row copper/brass radiator and factory shroud. One of my buddies who smokes was leaning on the front of it one day and I noticed that the fan was sucking the ashes off his cig right through the grill! It had a 7 blade fan off a 500ci Caddy v8 and a thermal clutch. I said that, to say this. You have to have enough surface, capacity, suction and flow. Over build it. It's the American way! :usa:

I just don't have the room to make the radiator bigger or thicker. The intake hose already rubs a little on the top of the radiator...

I just might have to get creative and actually think a little on this one...

All old Fords are bad to suck air back from the engine bay above and over the radiator and back through. Found it good to kinda shroud the front top of the radiator so it don't.
I also put thin expanded metal over the front on new builds for added protection from birds and such.
Saw a guy use a potato and stuff it in on a bad leak and drove it for 2 days before replacing the rad. Have witnesses to prove it. Bought the spud at Elderado after I spit a rock in my buddy's rad. at URE. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen but I live a closed lifestyle.:lol:

Rob, why not try a water mister to mist the rad? I cobbled one up when we were at Moab a few years ago and it worked great. On my Kenworth I ran my condensation water from the dash air out in front of the rad and desert crossings were not a problem any more. All you need is a windshield washer jug and a little hose and a switch, you will be surprised how little water it takes.

PJ and I had this discussion sometime ago,multiple radiators will certainly work,look at any motorcycle running two or the Buggatti Veyron runs 3 engine radiators.

Back