e-brake light stuck on??

zackschmidt

well i was just cruisin along on the highway and all the sudden the light came on for my parking brake in the dashboard and it has been stuck on ever since...doesn't matter whether i put the e-brake on or take it off...:wtf:

99 dodge ram sport extended cab...i haven't had any sort of trouble like this before yesterday...i'm still sore from skiing the last couple days so i haven't felt the urge to crawl all up under the dash and try to figure out whats going on so in the mean time anybody ever had this happen before? or know how to fix it? is it a wire problem? fuses...???

check your brake fluid

;)

Kevin

under the cap is there a black rubber thing? if so push it back up into the cup, if not that then i would check the brakes 2 see how thick they are maybe ur truck has some sensor or something on the pads i know mitsu evos have them

on my mr2 the little plastic clip holding the switch broke. If it is full of fluid check to see the switch is making contact.

On my blazer the spring fatigued over time so when I pulled the lever to release the pedal it didn't come up all the way and wouldn't make contact with the switch. Try pulling up on the pedal slightly (I'm assume it is a pedal) and see if the light goes off.

zackschmidt said:
well i was just cruisin along on the highway and all the sudden the light came on for my parking brake in the dashboard and it has been stuck on ever since...doesn't matter whether i put the e-brake on or take it off...:wtf:

just to clarify (as others have pointed you in that direction)...it's not a "light for your parking brake"...

it's a light for the brake system, but the most common time it's seen is when the parking brake is activated...

all the other things that have been mentioned, like level of fluid, sensors, etc, will all trigger the light...

Greg

On my '95 3000gt I had the same problem. Could never find what was causing it, until I changed the rear brake pads, they weren't completely worn out but the light went out and stayed out.

Back