Easiest trails at URE...

Nissan11

Im gona be heading down to Galloways this week and Im thinking about trying a couple of the easier trails at URE while Im there. I rode my quad out there the first week they opened but havnt been since so I dont know what the trails look like now. Im driving a 02 Frontier crew cab long bed so I cant do any steep ascent/descent angles. The truck is stock accept for lights and a grill guard. Do you guys think I could make it around rocky mtn loop without getting any body damage or tearing the rear differential off on a rock? If not RML, are there any trails that I should be ok on? Thanks.

Falls Dam is of course the easiest. A good warm-up, especially with a couple of stockers in a group, is to do Falls Dam and Dickey Bell first off in the morning, the progress to other trails.

You got Don Custer's map and ratings?

http://home.alltel.net/ezduzit/uwharrie.gif

Keep difficulty rating in mind if you are a solo vehicle -- I ran up on one in trouble last week. Common sense says a minimum of 2 vehicles. For example, for snatch-out or jump-starts, where you'd be screwed if you were alone and nobody came along (like on a weekday).

Thanks for the reply. I will likely be wheeling by myself with a friend who is coming along in my truck. I will be extra careful but I know of a couple people at Pfeiffer university that can come help me out in an emergency.

NEVER wheel alone. (meaning, in the only vehicle)

Thanks for the reply. I will likely be wheeling by myself with a friend who is coming along in my truck. I will be extra careful but I know of a couple people at Pfeiffer university that can come help me out in an emergency.

Unless your planning to send smoke signals, use carrier pigeon, or have HAM radio gear... there's little guarantee you celly will work in the woods! OTOH, a nice long walk out to the Outpost might show you *WHY* folks are giving this (VERY GOOD) advice

if you are heading out there this weekend my nissan club is having a meet.. we are staying at the deep water horse camp and will be there from friday-sunday.. this minute our site is having some issues but it should be back up this evening sometime.... its noas4x4club.com Check out the forum under runs for the info...

what day are you wheeling?

there are a couple of us going on Friday for a shake-down run before the rest of 'em head to Tellico...

Greg

Sweet. Do you guys have many stock nissans that will be attending?

Yeah, we do. There should be at least 4-6 stock nissans all the way up to a few that are heavily modified. Most of us will be arriving friday around 6pm or so and we will be doing the most wheeling on saturday. We will probably do a night run on friday. Saturday for the members of the club we also do a raffle giving away free parts from some nissan aftermarket companies and a few others as well. If you want to pm me for my phone number and you can meet up with us for the weekend or just one day.

Im not sure I will be able to make it this weekend, possibly friday afternoon I will. How often do you guys meet up and wheel? I noticed your in Greensboro, I go to Guilford College and dont think Ive ever seen a pathy on 37's around town before.

I will most likely be heading down that way friday afternoon so mabye I could jump in with you guys on the easier trails? What time do you guys plan to start wheelin? I couldnt find any specific time info on the noas forums.

I will most likely be heading down that way friday afternoon so mabye I could jump in with you guys on the easier trails? What time do you guys plan to start wheelin? I couldnt find any specific time info on the noas forums.

Well most of us will be arriving around 4-5 or so. I'll be there before then setting up camp and such. If you want to come out to the camp site then we can round up some people and head out on a run on some of the easier trails. I went to gtcc last year and at that time I had a SAS'd 2001 frontier.. but that was wrecked earlier this year... I live in high point now and work in thomasville so Im not normally around that area much anymore...

Most of the trails are SOOPER easy for any 4x4 as long as it is dry. I've still yet to run Daniel or Dutch John. Rocky Mtn Loop has a by-pass for the hillclimb section.

If it's wet though, watch out.

Sounds good. I might swing by galloways and get some new tires installed friday afternoon. I dont think I will be able to make it out there until Around 7 or so. Ill swing by the camp and see if anyone is around, if not Ill check out 553 parking and head on back home. Ive got all my stuff but with no winch I dont think I should try falls dam by myself. Ill have my CB on, do you know what channel you will be on? I might be able to pick you guys up If you happen to be close.

Sounds good. I might swing by galloways and get some new tires installed friday afternoon. I dont think I will be able to make it out there until Around 7 or so. Ill swing by the camp and see if anyone is around, if not Ill check out 553 parking and head on back home. Ive got all my stuff but with no winch I dont think I should try falls dam by myself. Ill have my CB on, do you know what channel you will be on? I might be able to pick you guys up If you happen to be close.

we normally run 15...

Ive got all my stuff but with no winch I dont think I should try falls dam by myself.

Falls Dam can be run with just about any 2wd truck, open, when dry. You'll have no issues. Mind you I'm not saying to wheel alone, I just think your perception of what some of the trails will be like might be a little over-exaggerated.

I convinced a friend to go with me and we went out for a few hours tonight to check it out. I only wanted to do the easy trails but we ended up in some very difficult situations. I found out its very hard to navigate using the map from the outpost. We did rocky mtn loop, sawmill, a chunk of dutch john and even went by kodak rock. We also started up daniel from 553 parking and turned around shortly after the big "stairstep" hill. I ended up bending both running boards into the bottom of my truck but nothing major. It was alot of fun at night and I sure am glad I had the AC lights.

Well I'm glad to hear you made it home okay. The map sucks at first until you have wheeled out there a bit, then it starts making sense. After my second full day out there the map started to sink into my brain and I was good to go. For a first timer you did okay if you didn't get lost. The good thing about URE is that eventually most of the trails cross a road of some sort, so you can find your location again on the map.

And yeah, running boards don't stand a chance...

Yeah it was the most fun Ive ever had. Im going back sunday morning with a friend who has a jeep. It should be easier to navigate in the daylight and Ill have my GPS with me too. I tried bending back the running boards but no luck. Might as well leave em on the truck until after sunady.

I convinced a friend to go with me and we went out for a few hours tonight to check it out. I only wanted to do the easy trails but we ended up in some very difficult situations. I found out its very hard to navigate using the map from the outpost. We did rocky mtn loop, sawmill, a chunk of dutch john and even went by kodak rock. We also started up daniel from 553 parking and turned around shortly after the big "stairstep" hill. I ended up bending both running boards into the bottom of my truck but nothing major. It was alot of fun at night and I sure am glad I had the AC lights.

Sounds like you did only the HARDEST rated trails there???!!!! Falls Dam is the place to start, and then Dicky Bell....then maybe the loop that takes you around back to top of RML so you can walk down/see the rock, etc. That is usually where I lead/take the stockers on our runs.

Back