EFI Live --- school me

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
flashscan
AutoCal
v2
v3
What is passthrough ?
Ive been hinted at going for v2 but v2 doesn't have VIN ? what ?
v2 is terrible hard to get new/used ?
what the deal ?
can i use v3 and zero out the vin ?
help.......

For the money it'll cost to get setup and aggravation of doing it, I'd just pay someone a few hundred bucks and let them do it for you.

ok... money isnt the goal, but again, i forgot which site im on ;)
Anyone else ?
[Its 'ok', as we all have an opinion.
Some pay,
some learn,
I'd take the learning path, thats just me..... ]

ok... money isnt the goal, but again, i forgot which site im on ;)
Anyone else ?
[Its 'ok', as we all have an opinion.
Some pay,
some learn,
I'd take the learning path, thats just me..... ]

Pretty snide, but alright.

A FlashScan is the mother of the operation and has all the capabilities.

An AutoCal only lets you flash tunes, data log, and read codes and tune files. They have to be linked to the tune file's FlashScan of origin to be able to flash a tune to a controller.

If you're just tuning your own stuff, you don't need an AutoCal. They're what remote tuners send customers with files loaded on them to flash to their vehicles.

They don't make FlashScan V2s any more, you'd have to get a FlashScan V3 unless you find a used one.

Are you asking about "pass through tuning" or "pass through mode"? Pass through tuning lets you bypass some security issues to flash a tune file. Pass through mode uses the module (AutoCal or FlashScan) as a link between the laptop computer and the vehicle...to the best of my knowledge.

After looking back at the whole rv thread, I'm guessing you're just going to be using this to dial in the transmission since it appears to be a P-Pump Cummins engine. If that's the case...what's the wiring/controller situation like? TPS input, some speed sensors, and the NSBU switch?

Will EFI Live tune an A40 MD operating system? Or would it require Allison's software?

I'm not sure exactly the end goal, so some extra info would help there, but I do know that flashing an incompatible OS in A40 TCMs can brick them.

Last edited:
They seem to have issues with A40 tuning. Hopefully you don't, but it sounds like it could be a pain based on several threads I've found similar to this one:

sorry about being 'snide' :)
My language is kinda shitty [stroke] so ill take that any day...
"After looking back at the whole rv thread, I'm guessing you're just going to be using this to dial in the transmission since it appears to be a P-Pump Cummins engine. If that's the case...what's the wiring/controller situation like? TPS input, some speed sensors, and the NSBU switch?
Will EFI Live tune an A40 MD operating system? Or would it require Allison's software?
I'm not sure exactly the end goal, so some extra info would help there, but I do know that flashing an incompatible OS in A40 TCMs can brick them.
"
Wiring/TCM/Base Programing - All NEW from [Home | Transmission Tuner)
TPS input = Stock P-pump (NEW Napa, see pic)
Speed Sensors = Allison MD (Not GM) stuff. Although they appear the same sensors....
-- I don't have any light in the check trans. light
NSBU - Internal - I check that when rebuild it. All good
I am from HPTuner kinda guy.
So im looking for
Hey idi0t go buy this: [with a working link] It will do XYZ....
Don't buy this BECAUSE....ABC
The 'because' is important (to me)
unlike....
- I read it on the interweb
- Because thats what the shop told me.....
- I don't know my step brother cousin did this....
etc...
Your one of the 'nice' persons,
i read your threads... what you do, things you do, how you do them etc...
so..
Thank you, you have a :beer: <--- at my fire

Attachments

• 1995-TPS-TH175_Top__ra_p.jpg
    1995-TPS-TH175_Top__ra_p.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 35
Heres a school

I'm trying to figure out if HP Tuners would do what you need to do, but I don't believe it will.

I see that your hardware is non-GM, but do you have any idea what software/operating system is in the A40 itself?

Are you going to need to do a full flash/write to the TCM or just get in there and tweak some things to your liking?

I dove in this head first and it's...interesting. The level of what you need to do depends on which software you need to get your hands on, apparently. If it's a totally non-GM operating system, then it could require Allison DOC software. Then there are GM MD operating systems that can be flashed with TIS via a Tech2/MDI and, from what I can gather, modified with EFI Live.

This is quite the research topic. I've been digging since about 10pm yesterday.

The good thing is, the posts I'm reading and gathering info from are by guys that do this stuff for a living and are wise well beyond my years. I'm also trying to find recent stuff because they're constantly updating the capabilities of EFI Live. So a thread from 2014 may not be valid at this point in time.

It seems like the actual tuning part of it will be the easy part compared to just figuring out which software you need to accomplish it 😂

Im tired drove the Winston Salam, but i got the Autocal v2 EFIlive (not the flashscan)
Yes i wish HPTuners did it. oh well...
My guess is the Allison is/was part of GM at one time, and alot of stilll ia inside...
so the PID are simialr and fact this A40 TCM is a almost GM but has sauh that it does need a ECM to fuction.
Soposidle that $1200 worth of tunes on my thing.... for GM....... (disels)
I so tied, let you guy sift through my regular mis-speelings....
mike

Well, so long as the end result is something you're happy with...it will be worth it!

well im scanning it [RV] and ....
right off the bat my TPS isn't working...
-time to brake out the new one.
-Put that in that AND
-found a wire that had spaced it self out off the connector
-a simple little fix BALM we had a working TPS
Solve that one...
Now i need/getting a new wire that goes to the AutoCal
-It worked, for about 10mins on a drive, then died....
-I'm hopping that its cable. Will know Thur/Fri when cable get here.
-Yes i have bought the 'correct' one,
[i made the Id10t error and bought a generic OBD2 RJ45 adapter.....How foolish of me thinking that]
-Else i getting v3
But in the mean time, the 10 miles home it was starting to shift a lot better
Keep doing the 20 miles loop

Back