electric brake controller wiring help

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
I need help wiring this control box up on my Liberty. According to Jeep service Dept. manager, if I have a 6 prong plug and the HD towing package (which I do), it should be pre-wired for trailer brakes. But, I have to find the wires and splice them into the controller I already have. He also said I would have to run 1 wire to the plug, the ground, I think? Anyway, I'm no electrician and have no idea what I'm doing with this, so any amount of help would be appreciated, the more the better

feel free to call me if you have any ideas caus I'm gonna be outside working on the buggy when I get home and may not check the computer.

Rob

Poke around under the dash, you should probably have a 4 wire harness that's looped up, probably in the left side... it will be labeled.

I have *heard* that a wire neeed to be run sometimes, but it was usually the actual trailer brake wire, but I would be surprised if that was the case anymore.

What are you gonna tow with the Liberty?

:flipoff2:
gayjeep.jpg

The factory pigtail is probably under the dash somewhere. If for some reason you cant find it, follow the leads from the break pedal, as the factory harness will tap into the brake pressure switch. The wires should be white/black/blue/red/green - Im led to believe those are standard colors. White should be ground, If you dont have the 6 prong plug from factory, youll have to run the blue wire to the prong(trailor brake feed). The prong and the controller should have its own independant ground.

Rich said:
Poke around under the dash, you should probably have a 4 wire harness that's looped up, probably in the left side... it will be labeled.

I have *heard* that a wire neeed to be run sometimes, but it was usually the actual trailer brake wire, but I would be surprised if that was the case anymore.

What are you gonna tow with the Liberty?

gayjeep.jpg

I've got a factory 6 prong plug. I ordered the HD towing package which came with the prong and Class III hitch, etc.

I found a 4 wire plug taped up under the dash near the brake wires, etc., but its not labeled. I'll just have to trace everything which is very time consuming, or just pay the Jeep dealership the $150 they want to hook it up (not including a controller).

I'll just poke around under there some more tonight and see what I come up with.

Rob

Back