Engine Cooking

sam24th

Just throwing this out there since I wondered if I was the only person who does this. Anyone else use the engine heat to cook food while out camping or trail riding? Ive done this a several times now with hotdogs and whatnot when Im trail riding or on long road trips. Just wrap up the dogs in a lot of alum foil and throw it ontop of the intake manifold on my jeep I6.

YEP ! Fer a loonngg, time!!! I've even had left over pizza, on the trail, off the 304! Do it many a day, at work! I seldom want a cold samwhich. And chicken, any way you want. Usually give food about an hour, to heat, & longer, seldom hurts anything, except melting your cheese!:rockon:

I read an article a few years back about a Toyota. Dude had welded up a stainless box with a lid and latch on it. It mounted on top of a 22r exhaust manifold. It would hold two frozen burritos. He would pop them in and wheel for a bit and then stop and eat lunch. Always wanted to duplicate that idea.

I read an article a few years back about a Toyota. Dude had welded up a stainless box with a lid and latch on it. It mounted on top of a 22r exhaust manifold. It would hold two frozen burritos. He would pop them in and wheel for a bit and then stop and eat lunch. Always wanted to duplicate that idea.
yeah i seen the same article and thought about it when i seen this post haha!! I was gon put one of those grill thermometer on the top of mine.......then i built a samurai so alas no room, back to cold sardines, and that fills up the glovebox!!

I've done it a few times to warm stuff up. Even found out I had a leak at my carb base once...gas would evaporate on the hot manifold, but abosrbed right in to a burrito.

yeah i seen the same article and thought about it when i seen this post haha!! I was gon put one of those grill thermometer on the top of mine.......then i built a samurai so alas no room, back to cold sardines, and that fills up the glovebox!!

Dude the thermometer would be some hard core trail bling!

I've done it a few times to warm stuff up. Even found out I had a leak at my carb base once...gas would evaporate on the hot manifold, but abosrbed right in to a burrito.

I can't do it on mine because of all the useless emission crap. If I ever do a desmog I may have room. Then there is the issue of misc oil and power steering that continually coats my engine bay. Oh to have a SBC.

Cruisers do have a trick under the seat heater for the back seat, maybe I could harness all of that heat in a box. Heck I wouldn't even have to stop and pop the hood, just reach behind the passenger seat!

It would be trick to have a small gas grill that would be attached to a receiver hitch if you were running pane.
now that would be the bling!!!!
but back to your underseat statement..... you could fab a box with a heater core inside it in a seperate comparment sealed away from cooking area and circulate coolant thru it, would'nt have to be very big and would be probly consistantly 150 or so degrees F, that would take longer than a manifold but would be pretty neat,

I am surprised that know one has made the pane grill happen yet. It seems like an obvious choice. I have already built a small grill that attaches to my hitch, but I have to wait for charcoal to get ready. Used it a few times in Harlan waiting to see someone roll up and bang their way through Lions Den.

On that under the seat deal, it is a heater core with a blower on it. I figure if you could fab up something kinda like a little toaster oven you could just push the hot air into the box. You could keep bbq warm until it was time to eat.

We cook or warm food on our engines all the time. In the cab we have cab heaters or there's a bunch of electronic control boxes in the nose good for warming stuff. Otherwise there's plenty of room on the prime mover to Heat and cook stuff. There's a .pdf cook book out there called manifold menu which has some good recipes and tips.

As far as my personal vehicle I've heated soup cans etc. Once you put an aftermarket fuel system on a 7.3l it leaves you with a nice open Valley to heat stuff.

The pane grill would be a sick setup for a camping rig. I need to come up with an oven/box thing for my 22r. Id like to throw some stuff in there in the morning on my 40minute commute to school to warm it up. Wonder what the rest of the people would think when I pop the hood and pull a burrito out haha.

The pane grill would be a sick setup for a camping rig. I need to come up with an oven/box thing for my 22r. Id like to throw some stuff in there in the morning on my 40minute commute to school to warm it up. Wonder what the rest of the people would think when I pop the hood and pull a burrito out haha.
that would be better than your pants!!:eek:

Have seen many different things heated on manifolds. Beanie weenies(make sure and crack the lid so it don't explode) Hot Pockets, Left over Pizza, Soup, Saw an aluminum pot welded t an aluminum intake with a lid that latched down, that was pretty cool. Also saw an ammo box with some bar welded to it, bolted down on an exhaust manifold.
It's all in your imagination. Mostly what I have seen is left overs double wrapped in foil, and thrown on the intake.

When I was down in Cali, the worker guys would put their burritos and stuff wrapped in aluminum foil on the manifold and by time we had drove to work, their stuff was plenty warm....lol...... sounds goofy, but it worked.

Back